Yokohama 18" and 20" Tire Reviews

What was the UTQG tread wear rating on the Conti Cross Contact LX?

680 A B

I had lots of tread left when I started having issues with the tires. A real shame because I was very impressed with the tires up until that point.

680 A B

I had lots of tread left when I started having issues with the tires. A real shame because I was very impressed with the tires up until that point.

Pete,

What type of problems did you have with your Contis? I had the same tire before I bought a slightly used set of OEM 20" wheels and tires from another member here (finnfour). I was very impressed with the Contis but I did dish them out at around 25K miles which was pretty much almost the life I got out of them, I could have pushed them another 3K-5K miles but it would be cutting it close to being unsafe. I did however, see a faint line starting to appear in the middle of the tread that almost looked like if pushed more it would split the tire right in half.

Pete,

What type of problems did you have with your Contis? I had the same tire before I bought a slightly used set of OEM 20" wheels and tires from another member here (finnfour). I was very impressed with the Contis but I did dish them out at around 25K miles which was pretty much almost the life I got out of them, I could have pushed them another 3K-5K miles but it would be cutting it close to being unsafe. I did however, see a faint line starting to appear in the middle of the tread that almost looked like if pushed more it would split the tire right in half.

On the first set, I got about 12 months on them (~30K miles) before I started to hear / feel a slight vibration that got progressively worse over time. I also started to get a vibration in my pedal and steering wheel when I was braking - which also got worse over time. On the first set, they brought me back to the shop and showed me one of the tires on the 'balancer' - it would pop up and over at one spot on the tire and said it was a 'belt shift'. At that point, I had already replaced 2 of the tires, so I decided to replace the remaining 2. After that, the problems went away. And then 9 months later, I started to get that same sensation again. I didn't wait as long this time around because it was exactly the same thing I had experienced before. But this time, they really couldn't find any reason for this to be happening. None of the tires looked bad and when they re-balanced them, they were always fine. But I would get that helicopter 'wop/wop' noise when driving on them.

I contacted Continental and they agreed to replace, what the tire dealer described as; the 2 tires they suspected were the cause of the problem, on a pro-rated basis. It didn't help. The tire dealer purposely kept the 2 tires that they took off in case it didn't resolve the issue, so I went back about 5 days later and had them swap the remaining 2 tires around with the new ones.....but I still had the issue. So, it looks like I have at least 2 tires that are bad again. I just don't have the time or the patience to keep going back to try a different combination of 2 tires.....I should have just insisted that they replace all 4. But, at the same time, I really don't want to buy a 3rd set (even if they are discounting them for me) and run into the exact same thing again a year from now.

So, I'm cutting my losses and buying the new set. I see on Tire Rack that there are a lot of people that have had similar experiences - they start out great, but then get noisy. But in my case, in addition to the noise, the vibration during braking is really annoying.....I thought I had really bad warped rotors when it first started happening. New tires made everything right again.

And since I do 98% highway driving, I was getting very good wear out of them. I replaced the 1st set at ~45K miles and I believe there was still about 6/32" left on the tires. With about 25K on the 2nd set, I think I still have between 7-8/32" left.

I hope I have better luck with the ENVigors.

WOW!

Just to add also, my wife's 2004 Ford Escape Limited 4WD came with Continentals ContiTracs and those were a POS. They were noisy from the day we drove the Escape off the lot, and they just got worse as they wore. The Escape is not very quiet as it is, plus the road noise coming from those tires made it unbearable to drive at highway speeds. I finally replaced them with Goodyear Wranglers and it was heck of a lot better, but now it starting to get very noisy once again. Good thing the wife only uses it to go back and forth to work, we use our CX-9 for everything else. I still feel sorry for her every morning when I leave to work in my nice quiet comfortable CX-9 and she gets stuck with her crappy Escape. However, I have offered for her to drive the CX-9 and I drive the Escape but she refuses because she says she feels to small driving the CX-9 since she is only 5'00" tall. Plus, she is next in line to get a new car and she wants this:

2010_mercedes-benz_glk350_actr34_ft_1_717.jpg

This is a very early appraisal, but I had a set of 18" Yokohama ENVigors installed on my 9 just before we left for vacation last week, so the car sat idle in the garage until this Monday (the 9 is my 'work' vehicle) when I headed out for my first service call. The tires are pretty quiet and comfortable but they are noticeably stiffer than the Continental Cross Contact LX's that they replaced. Dry and wet traction seems very good. Likely due to the stiffer ride, I also noticed a increase in noise (thud!) when going over expansion joints and anything that differed in road height....otherwise they are quiet.

Sadly, as much driving as I do, Murphy's Law came into play today. Just Day-3 of driving on my new rubber, I hit something on the highway and sliced the sidewall of one of the tires, rendering the tire useless. Could this have happened anytime in the past 2 1/2 years / 69K miles when I was getting frustrated with the Continentals???? Of course not!!.....if I get my hands on that damn Murphy!!!!!!

Avid ENVigor vs Parada Spec-X

Has anyone made a road test comparrision between these two tires on the CX-9?

IMHO, Michelins are good tires but mostly over-priced.
It is no difference in this case. Spec-X is no only better but also cheaper.
Check tirerack.com for owners' review in case some people wonder that we work for Yokohama....

Back