Edmunds 2010 SUV Buying Guide

jcpharm

:
2016 CX-5 GT AWD/ 2016 CX-9 GT AWD
Looks like the CX-9 has made the list again (top 3 SUV <$35k):
http://www.edmunds.com/suv/2010/buyingguide.html

Interesting there is no mention of Pilot or Highlander here...
SUVs Under $35,000
Crossovers also dominate our next category, and bumping up the price by $10K nets the buyer increased cabin and storage space without sacrificing carlike performance. With seating for seven and surprisingly sophisticated handling for a vehicle its size, the Mazda CX-9 is a repeat pick and perennial favorite at this price point. The Volvo XC60 is a new crossover from the Swedish carmaker known for safety and offers an innovative collision-avoidance system for stop-and-go city traffic as well as solid driving feel and a dash of European flair.

With room for eight passengers and poised composure on the road, the Chevrolet Traverse is another GM hit in the crossover category. It should be noted that its corporate cousins, the Buick Enclave and GMC Acadia, share the same platform and by default the accolades for the Traverse.

Interesting that they don't even mention the two big players in the segment. I agree that the CX-9 and GM triplets have the Highlander and Pilot beat in terms of features and packaging but the other players do have high points as well. (For example the Highlander has relatively good fuel economy and the Pilot has some nice, if expensive, tech options.) The best thing about shopping this segment (mid to large crossovers) at this time is the diversity of options available. When you compare it to the minivan market where everybody is offering basically the same thing, it is amazing how many distinct choices there are...all with their own personalities.

I just visited SF Autoshow on Sunday. In Autoshow, one gets to compare vehicles side by side.
It became very clear to me that
- the 3rd of Highlander is really really a joke. So cheaply made/designed that it seems like an afterthought to me. The space behind 3rd row is very tight.
- the Pilot does not "feel" like an crossover to me. It just feels like a truck (like Ridgeline) in many ways. The design is more utility-oriented. A beauty it is not.

Anyway, even with today's choices, I would still buy CX9 w/o hesitation.
As for 2010 model, I really love the new leather. It is much softer than the grainy one on older models. The split center console is nice. The shifter plate looks more up-scale. Other minor changes are more subjective such as the front-end.

It was interesting that Nissan/Infiniti was no where to be found in the autoshow.
Trying hard to save expenses, I guess.

Back