Short Throw Shift Plate for the MS6

Due to everything being fixed in place there is no way for the throws to get increasingly shorter as you move from 1st to 6th. I assume it was like this from the factory and is now accentuated a bit more with the shift plate..

Sorry from the delay in replying,

Jamie

Well, I drove the car today from MI to KY and it was a blast. After getting some more time behind the wheel, I think that all the shifts feel about equal in length, not shorter as you go from 1st to 6th as I originally thought. It does require a bit more effort to shift, but I am already getting used to it. I am very satisfied with the product.

I noticed this too..(shorter from 5th to 6th) but, it was very slight and doesnt really seem to affect anything performance wise.. i had a harder time getting into 5th with my TWM.. now its much easier to enter 5th?? I think any change like this takes some getting used to..

Ive asked a couple Mazda techs at my dealer.. and the story they gave me is that the shifter weight has more to do with dampening the engine vibrations and reducing wear on the synchros?? the only thing i noticed when i removed it, was a little more vibration on the shift knob.. long story short.. the techs say not to run without a shifter weight entirely.. which Ive seen lots of people doing.. including myself..

Ive asked a couple Mazda techs at my dealer.. and the story they gave me is that the shifter weight has more to do with dampening the engine vibrations and reducing wear on the synchros?? the only thing i noticed when i removed it, was a little more vibration on the shift knob.. long story short.. the techs say not to run without a shifter weight entirely.. which Ive seen lots of people doing.. including myself..

It is true that the added vibrations will be more stressful than with the weight. However, it shouldn't be enough of an increase to create a premature failure. Synchronizer failures are typically due to an issue with the material or batch produced, or someone driving down the road trying to push the shifter while it's in gear.

Well, I drove the car today from MI to KY and it was a blast. After getting some more time behind the wheel, I think that all the shifts feel about equal in length, not shorter as you go from 1st to 6th as I originally thought. It does require a bit more effort to shift, but I am already getting used to it. I am very satisfied with the product.

That's awesome!! Thanks for the update!!

Jamie

Update - I just installed the shifter bushings and the shifts feel even better!!

Back