How to remove tail light assembly to change bulb

I have a 2006 Mazda5. I need to replace the brake light bulb. I have removed the two screws but cannot get the tali light assembly to pull away from the body. I've tried pushing up, pushing down, rocking back and forth. I don't want to break it. It feels like something else is holding it in place. I've searched but cannot find any instructions. Help!

Scott

Swing by the dealership they WILL tell you how to do it, if they are cool about it, it's just part of the Mazda customer service, heck you might be able to call them and ask.

(sssh)

Peace!(rei)

I have a 2006 Mazda5. I need to replace the brake light bulb. I have removed the two screws but cannot get the tali light assembly to pull away from the body. I've tried pushing up, pushing down, rocking back and forth. I don't want to break it. It feels like something else is holding it in place. I've searched but cannot find any instructions. Help!

Scott

I will be scared if a mazda rookie tech will be following the instructions in
tha manual. Imagine them removing the 3rd row and side panels. They
will never be careful enough to put it back perfectly.

There has to be an easier way. SGT's suggestion of checking with
dealer might be the best way.

Here is what I found anyway.

===================================
REAR COMBINATION LIGHT REMOVAL/INSTALLATION
DPE091851150W01
1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
2. Remove the following parts:
(1) Third-row seat (7-passenger model) (See09–13–8 THIRD-ROW SEAT REMOVAL/INSTALLATION.)
(2) Rear scuff plate (See09–17–19 REAR SCUFF PLATE REMOVAL/INSTALLATION.)
(3) Trunk end trim (See09–17–20 TRUNK END TRIM REMOVAL/INSTALLATION.)
(4) Second-row seat belt lower anchor installation bolt (See08–11–3 SECOND-ROW SEAT BELT REMOVAL/
INSTALLATION.)
(5) Third-row seat belt lower anchor installation bolt (7-passenger model) (See08–11–5 THIRD-ROW SEAT
BELT REMOVAL/INSTALLATION.)
(6) Cargo compartment light (See09–18–28 CARGO COMPARTMENT LIGHT REMOVAL/INSTALLATION.)
(7) Trunk side trim (See09–17–19 TRUNK SIDE TRIM REMOVAL/INSTALLATION.)
=

3. Remove in the order indicated in the table..

http://www.msprotege.com/members/skyhawk/rearlight.JPG

======

The illustration does show only 2 screws. But there are
other holes in the frame. It could just be slots where parts of the assembly
fits in.

Good luck. Let us know what you find. take pictures.

In the ff: it does say "Direct bolt on design".

http://www.go-part.com/0607-mazda-mazda5-tail-light-rear-lamp-right-passenger-p-28569.html

Last edited:
Take out the 2 screws and then gently but firmly and carefully pull whole assembly towards you. It is tight from factory but it will come off and then easy to put back on. Don't worry when you are pulling on it, they are made well and wont break. Just dont try prying with a screwdriver. Hands only.

olddaddy, you were correct. After removing the screws you need to get a firm grip at the top and bottom of the housing and pull straight away from the vehicle. There are two plastic cones (I'm sure there is a proper term for them) that fit into holes on the body. They fit very tightly and provide much of the holding power. After replacing the bulb I just lined up the cones and holes and pushed firmly back in. Screws and screw covers back on and that's it!

olddaddy, you were correct. After removing the screws you need to get a firm grip at the top and bottom of the housing and pull straight away from the vehicle. There are two plastic cones (I'm sure there is a proper term for them) that fit into holes on the body. They fit very tightly and provide much of the holding power. After replacing the bulb I just lined up the cones and holes and pushed firmly back in. Screws and screw covers back on and that's it!

Yeah, I figured it'd be like that but was a little confused from the posts saying "take it to a dealer" and "remove seats and trim". I realize manufacturers sometimes make it difficult for us common folk to DIY but I've swapped out cracked taillights before and figured it would be like you described. Not that my bulb needs replacing yet but thanks for the input.

for newbies, replacing a tail light assembly is not as easy as how you guys put it. i did mine before, i was able to remove and replace but the fit was never thesame. it wasnt as seamless as before.

Not sure what you mean here?? there is no adjustment. Just remove the screws and unsnap it. there is no adjustment. either it's in the correct position or it's not installed!!

Two screws and then pull, thanks Olddaddy and was98strat!

Here is a picture of the right tail light removed, to the left you can see the two taupe (greyish) colored re-useable plastic rivits and the two black holes on the right. The hardest thing about re-assembly is making sure not to pinch the cable.

26316.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back