Katzkin leather seat upgrade

JReichle1

:
1999 Protege Sport 20
I just got a set of dark graphite katzkin leather seats off of eBay for $220. I am planning on installing them myself, and I was wondering if anyone else has any experience with katzkin?
I have plenty of time and tools. I would like to know if there is any special procedure or if caution is needed in certain areas. Thanks in advance for any suggestions or help.

Update 4/3/10

Finally uploaded a couple pics of the seats. Still need to do the door inserts...
Sorry about the dirty car...

Last edited:
you bought seats or covers?. seats are easy, if you bought covers, you need to have them installed by a professional.. otherwise you're just going to get aggervated and rip something.

I bought the seat covers. I have to remove the stock seat skins and replace them with the katzkin ones. I am a professional mechanic, and I have alot of tools. I am sure that I will get frustrated, I am going to just take my time and use spray adhesive when I put the new ones on. If any one has any experience with this type of install your input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

i would get it done by a pro, its a b**** to not rip or wrinkle it and s***, i never done a car seat but have done a few bike seats

I am a professional mechanic. If I can replace an engine, i'm sure that I can put on some seat skins. I have tools and time to spare. I was wondering if anyone had any real world experience with katzkin. I know it won't be easy, but I plan on doing the install one seat at a time and might even take a couple days between seats. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I am a professional mechanic. If I can replace an engine, i'm sure that I can put on some seat skins. I have tools and time to spare. I was wondering if anyone had any real world experience with katzkin. I know it won't be easy, but I plan on doing the install one seat at a time and might even take a couple days between seats. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

trust me.. you can't(speaking from experience) there's a couple of tools that are absolutely required in order for it to look good. Being from e-flea the skins may not be exactly the correct dimensions requring modifications.

trust me.. you can't(speaking from experience) there's a couple of tools that are absolutely required in order for it to look good. Being from e-flea the skins may not be exactly the correct dimensions requring modifications.

I just finished the seats, and they look amazing. I ordered some hog ring pliers and had to get a rear seat back out of a lx ($18 on debit MasterCard) putting leather seats in your car for $250=Priceless...

Thanks for all the haters who thought I couldent do it, just made me want to do it even more. Anything is possible with the right tools and patience. I willpost pics later when I get a chance.

I just finished the seats, and they look amazing. I ordered some hog ring pliers and had to get a rear seat back out of a lx ($18 on debit MasterCard) putting leather seats in your car for $250=Priceless...

Thanks for all the haters who thought I couldent do it, just made me want to do it even more. Anything is possible with the right tools and patience. I willpost pics later when I get a chance.

Hater? I told you you needed some special tools, it looks like you took my advice and ordered something equivalent.

P.S.
I don't expect you to take my opinion for anything other than what it is, but that kind of loose quality to the leather on the seats was exactly what I was talking about. If you like them that's all that matters, but don't try to tell *me* that it's the same as a professional job.

Last edited:
Hater? I told you you needed some special tools, it looks like you took my advice and ordered something equivalent.

P.S.
I don't expect you to take my opinion for anything other than what it is, but that kind of loose quality to the leather on the seats was exactly what I was talking about. If you like them that's all that matters, but don't try to tell *me* that it's the same as a professional job.

It's all good! I love my seats. The inserts are supposed to be somewhat ruffled. If it looks a little loose that is ok with me. It just means when the leather starts to tighten up it won't crack as easily. I know your Audi has tight ass leather, but I like the feeling of a soft seat. I only paid $250. I'm happy. I didint mean to piss anyone off... My bad.

It's all good! I love my seats. The inserts are supposed to be somewhat ruffled. If it looks a little loose that is ok with me. It just means when the leather starts to tighten up it won't crack as easily. I know your Audi has tight ass leather, but I like the feeling of a soft seat. I only paid $250. I'm happy. I didint mean to piss anyone off... My bad.

Don't mistake my sentence structure for being a dick. That just comes from the attack before attacked nature of audizine.com. For $250 it was a good mod, I just think it could have been better, but that's not a big issue. At the least you've added serious resale value to the vehicle.

Don't mistake my sentence structure for being a dick. That just comes from the attack before attacked nature of audizine.com. For $250 it was a good mod, I just think it could have been better, but that's not a big issue. At the least you've added serious resale value to the vehicle.

come on guys, let's end this.

Back