In Memory of Member 1338
In Memory of Member 1338
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: changing headlight bulb in Mazda 5

2007 Mazda5 Touring

Quote Originally Posted by Davebert View Post
    I think all years of M5 uses H7 bulbs for their lo-beam. If you are in Canada you will also need a relay harness and a 16v 470uF capacitor to make the HID conversion to work with the Daytime Running Lights (DRL) circuit, US models do not have DRL so the relay harness is not needed.

Here is a link to my HID conversion experience:

/forum/showt...hp?t=123748611

Here are the links of where I bough my HID kit and relay harness. They are located in Hong Kong and the kit arrived in Montreal in 7 days. The capacitor are available at Radio Shack or The Source if you are in Canada:

http://www.vvme.com/standard-h7-hid-...cPath=44_45_23

http://www.vvme.com/relay-harness-fo....html?cPath=20

The standard kit that I got works fine but for installation I think the slim kit would have made installing it a little easier.
    Hi. Just a quick question about the headlight bulb replacement.

I wonder, is it okay to use HID headlight bulbs in existing OEM halogen housing? Will that look bad or cause any problem later? (heat, too bright, etc.)
    If that's the case and I cannot do the entire conversion kit installation, then maybe it is easier just use better halogen bulb with more brightness? (Say.. Sylvania Silverstar vs. Sylvania Silvestar ULTRA)

If anyone has tried this on 5 before, can you please share how it turned out, brightness, looks and etc.? Thank you and have a nice day.

Zoom•Zoom

You will be fine doing a HID conversion on a halogen housing you will not experience any problem. There are a ton of cars out there including mine that have made the HID change on a halogen housing with no ill effect. However, if you are still hesitant and want to go the Silverstar way. May I reccomend the Silverstar ZXE. Those are amazingly brighter and whiter (not HID white) then any halogen replacement out there including Silverstars and Silverstar ULTRA. I have a set of the ZXE that I was using while DDM Tuning sent me a replacement HID bulb under warranty and I loved them.
    2012 LIQUID SILVER MAZDA5 GRAND TOURING **SOLD**
    2015 SOUL RED MAZDA CX-5 GRAND TOURING**SOLD**

2007 Mazda5 Touring

Quote Originally Posted by Davicho View Post
    You will be fine doing a HID conversion on a halogen housing you will not experience any problem. There are a ton of cars out there including mine that have made the HID change on a halogen housing with no ill effect. However, if you are still hesitant and want to go the Silverstar way. May I reccomend the Silverstar ZXE. Those are amazingly brighter and whiter (not HID white) then any halogen replacement out there including Silverstars and Silverstar ULTRA. I have a set of the ZXE that I was using while DDM Tuning sent me a replacement HID bulb under warranty and I loved them.
    Silverstar ZXE? Okay thanks!

Registered Member

2010 Mazda5 MT

I am using Philips Xtreme Vision and I am very satisfied. 100% brighter, longer and wider beam without blinding incoming traffic. They are a lot better than silverstar that are known to have short live.
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?clk_r...ion+H7&_sop=15

Registered Member

Mazda 5

Quote Originally Posted by invivo View Post
    Since this thread is well alive and keeps getting hits from google because of the frustration created by the retaining clip, I thought about tossing in my advice.

First time I did it on drivers side with long nose pliers. Took me many tries and a very small flashlight. Removing the fuse box cover helped to have a bit more space. But on the passenger side, having a good grip with longnose is almost impossible. The Eureka was to use the fork screwdriver. I'm not a mechanic, so for me it was not that obvious. I DID IT FIRST TRY using this tool. The inside of the fork is sharpened, so once you make it grip on the clip leg you can bend/push/place the clip at will. Now I've found what that weird screwdriver is all about! haha I'm lucky it was in my kit!

And don't forget to keep the H7 connector/adapter that sits at the base of the bulb. The first time, I thought I bought the wrong bulb when I've seen those wider-than-H7 connection legs.

Attachment 200007
    Took me some time to find this tool. It's called a Tack Puller (used for furniture upholstery I think - someone mentioned "timbering"?)

But after reading someone comments about what a pain it seemed, I went ahead and ordered this too with my Philips H7 X-treme Power Headlight Bulb.

I can see why it was a pain but this tool totally made it easy! Granted I did have to fiddle and study the latch (best viewed on the passenger side) first before doing it.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Note: I did find that there is a "right side up" on the seating. There is a little notch that fits in between two "posts". I noticed this only after one of the headlamps was shooting more to the ground than the other side. Second time unhinging the latch took two seconds with this tool!

I paid $3 for this at the time. Totally worth it if it saved me time.

Registered Member

Mazda 5, 2005

IMO, the thread link below gives an excellent "how to" on changing the bulbs on a Mazda 5. I found it extremely useful. My bottom line on this job is "absolutely get the tool, or make one yourself out of an old screw driver (very easy to do)":

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showt...83#post6251583

~~~

2001 Mazda Protege ES

not sure if anyone else has had this problem, but the retaining clip on my drivers side was made too long to swing out of the housing. Not sure how that happened, but i had to clip a bit off the end to get it to work.
    Curse you Stanley headlights...
    I'm a timbit

Quote Originally Posted by Brains View Post
    not sure if anyone else has had this problem, but the retaining clip on my drivers side was made too long to swing out of the housing. Not sure how that happened, but i had to clip a bit off the end to get it to work.
    You clipped it? All you had to do was just slightly bend it out. I changed nine with a regular screwdriver in 15 minutes.

Easy as pie.
    '13 Fiat 500 Abarth Mine
    '06 Mazda MX-5 Miata GT Hers
    '06 Mazda5 Sport, 5MT Totaled

Registered Member

Mazda 5, 2005

Quote Originally Posted by Brains View Post
    Yes, the fundamental issue with the clip design is that the long side of the clip is slightly too long and interferes with the inside of round hard plastic housing. Because of this interference, the clip will not swing up freely as the Mazda documentation suggests. Removing 2mm to 3mm from the end of the clip on the long side makes this nightmare of a job much, much easier. I used a Dremel tool with an abrasive cut-off wheel to make it shorter. Sounds like you use dikes/dykes (both spellings are used) or something similar. Since the clip is spring steel, that means it is hardened to some degree and could damage dikes/dykes aka diagonal side cutters. That is why I used an abrasive/grinding tool. Be careful not to overdo shortening the long side of the clip: I suggest looking at the clip before you try to open it to see how much extra material there is sticking out from the metal catch for the clip. Obviously, you need to leave enough clip material to still have purchase on the underside of the metal clip. In my experience, removing 2 to 3 mm is enough, but YMMV.

And, as said before in this thread, making a tool out of an old screw driver or buying one makes this job much easier.

~~~

Registered Member

2003 Mazda Protege5

I got my first taste of headlight replacement on a Protege5 the last couple days. While trying to get the clip in place on the passenger side, the whole thing came off the mount. I've read some stuff on the net about the clips snapping, but mine just came off. I can't tell what held it in place or if it's possible to re-attach it.

The pax side bulb is being held in with just the rubber boot/seal right now. It seems to be pretty secure. I found a comment elsewhere on the net that a person has been driving their Mazda for over 2 years without the retaining clip(s) and everything stays in place fine.

Registered Member

Great to see I'm not the only one! Wow. The first post was me to a tee! I've changed freakin' spark plugs on my other car, that was easier than this stupid clip on the passenger side.

I was going to try to pull out the headlight, but I'm not sure how easy a job that is, as when I undid the two obvious bolts on top, it didn't just pull out... Anyone got links to a DIY?

The end of the clip definitely scratches the plastic sides, so I'm thinking I'll snip off a couple of mm's too.

I was almost going to go to the dealer tomorrow, but I'm not going to be defeated by this!

EDIT - Darn, it looks like I have to remove the bumper to get the headlight out... Too much work.

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showt...da5-headlights
    Last edited by Lotus99; 09-25-2014 at 02:44 AM.

Registered Member

2009.0 Mazda5 T

This would have taken 10 minutes tops on my previous Forester XT but it took me 3 hours to complete the job on this Mazda!!! Not only that, it caused me painful finger tips because of confined space of the the frieken clips. Had i known this before, I would have NOT went out of my way to upgrade the bulbs. I didn't remove the front bumper but totally wanted to. I took off the fuse cover to give me better access to the driver side lamp and set aside the coolant reservoir for the passenger side. If the windshield washer tube wasn't in the way, it would have saved me a bit of time there. On a level of difficulty scale, this install would be a solid 8... the same rating I would give for strut/spring replacements.

Registered Member

Mazda5 and MX-5

Found the secret. When you have the spring clamp pivoted down as far as it goes, lift it up, not down. This will allow it to go down a little more. Let go of the spring clamp and it will spring down and catch. The catch for the spring clamp is the top of that black piece of flat metal with the screw on the non-pivot side. The natural position of end of spring clamp is right about at the screw. Hence you need to lift it up.

Registered Member

mazda 5

After years of frustration, i found two "secrets" that allowed me to change the bulb without tools and made the bulbs last longer:

the adapter must be precisely oriented so that it seats well. If it is just a little off, the adapter sticks out just a tiny bit and the clamp cannot easily hook.

Bulbs burn out very fast as the connection between the bulb and adapter loosens over time, thus the bulb flickers. by wrapping metal foil around the bulb prongs, the connection is tightened.

This design is horrible and should never exist.

Registered Member

Mazda 5 Grand Touring

The retaining clips I can agree are the worst I have ever dealt with. My 5 looked like it had some kind of accident or something when I got it. No way of fixing the projectors angles or anything. The passenger side retainer is so bad. It took quite a while to get back on. Take the time, wear something to help reduce the pain for the hour long fiasco.

I did do my HID upgrades. Quite easy to do, my only suggestion is to take your time and mount things properly and away from heat and possible liquid spills/rain.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast