VersaTuner - tuning software for Mazdas
VersaTuner - tuning software for Mazdas
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: changing headlight bulb in Mazda 5

Quote Originally Posted by petitevan View Post
    Can someone tell me which kit I should get? I know I want 4300K or 5000K in terms of brightness, but H1, H5 or H11? Is there a special kit for rookies? I just want to increase the brightness of my low beam for night driving, nothing fancy. Thanks!

http://www.buyhidkits.com/
    I think all years of M5 uses H7 bulbs for their lo-beam. If you are in Canada you will also need a relay harness and a 16v 470uF capacitor to make the HID conversion to work with the Daytime Running Lights (DRL) circuit, US models do not have DRL so the relay harness is not needed.

Here is a link to my HID conversion experience:

/forum/showt...hp?t=123748611

Here are the links of where I bough my HID kit and relay harness. They are located in Hong Kong and the kit arrived in Montreal in 7 days. The capacitor are available at Radio Shack or The Source if you are in Canada:

http://www.vvme.com/standard-h7-hid-...cPath=44_45_23

http://www.vvme.com/relay-harness-fo....html?cPath=20

The standard kit that I got works fine but for installation I think the slim kit would have made installing it a little easier.

Registered Member

OMG...one of my bulbs went out so i'm in the middle of trying to change it out. i thought changing out the air cabin filter was hard. what the hell is mazda thinking with that retaining clip???? my hands are all cut up now and i still haven't had any success installing the bulb. anybody have any tips? please!

Registered Member

Mazda 5 GT

There is not enough 'maintenance space' on the 'passenger side'.
    it's one of those times when you wish you have a small '90-degree' long-nose pliers. The tool should allow you to 'grip that retaining clip' properly and move it to where it should be, without the back of your hand getting cut by whatever is facing the back of the headlight.. lol.

I changed mine the hard-way, but I'm looking into getting the proper tool for the next time.

`08 Mazda3 hatch, Aurora Blue

Man, I thought it was just me. I didn't notice the socket that holds the bulb first, finally got that in place and that clip made me want to kill someone with my torn up hands. (boom06)

I replaced it with a small led light at night in the rain tomorrow comes the passenger side bulb, made me want to pull the headlights to replace bulbs.
    It's not the Speed, its the Sudden Stops that Kill.

`08 Mazda3 hatch, Aurora Blue

Ok, found the only way I could replace the passenger side low beam on my `08 3 Hatch was to unclip the coolant tank from the fenderwell, set it on the valve cover, unclip the power steering fill and then you can have un-restricted access to the low beam on the passenger side....Nightmare clip needs a set of locking needlenose pliers.

Hope this helps someone.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member
    Donated: $5

2016 Mazda CX-5 Touring

After struggling with my locking needlenose vice grips, I bought some 90 degree (right angle) non-locking needlenose pliers. WOW, what a differece - took me ~5 min to do both headlights after using these.

My suggested steps for replacing headlights:
    1) ensure you have 90 degree needlenose pliers
    2) buy the replacement bulbs you desire
    3) dig in and do the job
    Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind - Romans 12:2

Registered Member

06 Mazda 5 & 09 Mitsi Lancer GTS

Just thought I would share my bulb changing experience.

Today my wife tells me on the way home from work that the drivers side burnt out. So the first thing I do before even looking at it, is get on here and search about it and found this thread. Well after reading this I was very skeptical about this task. So I bought 2 new bulbs and went to work.

The driver side did seem easier to get the clip back on. The passenger side was giving me grief just like it has everyone else on here. I realized I couldn't really see what it was I was trying to do. So what I did was get a little mirror and my flashlight and put it behind the light and I was able to see how the clip went into place.

Once I did that, my next attempt to put the clip on was successful. I think the key to it is seeing how the angle on the end of the clip goes under the part that holds it in. It is hard to explain without seeing it but once you do see it, it becomes clear on how to manipulate the clip when installing it.

Had both bulbs changed in about 25 minutes.
    Perhaps I was just lucky or maybe I stumbled onto something, but if it helps someone else then it was worth it.

2005 Mazda 3 HB 5 speed

definitely need to do it one or 2 times, (own a 3 & a 5), so it's not that bad once you realize you need to use some force on the retaining clip. If you're wimpy with the metal clip, you'll never get the bulb changed out. some 90 degree needle nose pliers help alot as well.

Registered Member

2008 Mazda5 Touring

I pulled the passenger bulb just for the heck of it after hearing you guys talk about how difficult it is. I got it back in no rear problem, but it seems like the end of the clip could actually be cut slightly short so that it wouldn't be the effort that it is. Who know, guess I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.
    Aaron

Registered Member

'10 M5 Sport Auto Liquid Silver

pita

I've owned some fairly obscure cars (at least in the USA). 1974 Audi 100LS sedan with inboard mounted brakes, a 1974 VW 412 sedan, a 1981 Peugeot 504 diesel wagon, and a 1987 VW Quantum Syncro come to mind right off the top of my head. Yeah, Google some of those. Anyway, all of these in some form or fashion were complete PITAs to work on with some real "what were they thinking" jobs. I must say that after changing my M5 headlight bulbs today, this job ranks right up there, especially since bulbs are a routine maintenance item. I can understand burying a clutch slave cylinder, power steering rack, etc. Those things fail maybe once in the life of a car. Headlight bulbs? Come on. Whoever signed off on this rinky-dink wire bail system of holding the bulbs in needs to get a blanket party. Stupid choice of design, and makes what should be a simple job a pain. I got mine done after inventing a few new curse words, but totally ridiculous amount of work for such a simple maintenance task. I'm now surprised the oil filter isn't remotely located above the fuel tank. Thankfully, the headlight guy didn't design the oil filter.

Registered Member

Ok, so I have been thru this twice. One time on a Mazda 3, the other time on a Mazda 5. First time on 3, I had no idea how I would ever get the little clip back in that catch. After fooling with it, I made my own solution. I feel the clip/spring/retaining wire is too tight. This was placed onto the headlamps at the factory, with headlamp out of the car. So I reduced the tension on the clip/spring/retaining wire, by bending it to allow slightly less tension when re installing the bulb. Worked like a charm. Forgot this and had to replace it on Mazda 5, ticked off I searched this issue. Came to this webpage. After looking at the clip/spring/retaining wire I remembered the bending of this clip/spring/retaining wire worked very well a few years prior. I did this, and the bulb went in soo soo soo much easier. Dont take too much tension off, but just enough, and you will find this to be much much easier of installation next time, and this time. I bend the clip/spring/retaining wire where it is shaped like the lower case letter "n". Do this with a set of pliers. Bulbs are still very secure!

Registered Member

08 Mazda5

I just finished doing this job twice. First headlight was a dud, so I got to do it again. Definitely easier the second time around, but a real PITA of a job. I hope the cost cutting they did that makes this a pain was made up for in the durability of the van. I've got 89k on mine and will run out of warranty next month.

Registered Member

2008 Mazda 5

I finally figured this out after 2 years of doing it wrong. I just realized that the headlight wire will unplug from the back of the light and there is a spacer in there that someone else already mentioned. I was trying to change it with the wire attached made a hard job even harder.

Registered Member

Mazda 5 GT 2008

Eureka!

Since this thread is well alive and keeps getting hits from google because of the frustration created by the retaining clip, I thought about tossing in my advice.

First time I did it on drivers side with long nose pliers. Took me many tries and a very small flashlight. Removing the fuse box cover helped to have a bit more space. But on the passenger side, having a good grip with longnose is almost impossible. The Eureka was to use the fork screwdriver. I'm not a mechanic, so for me it was not that obvious. I DID IT FIRST TRY using this tool. The inside of the fork is sharpened, so once you make it grip on the clip leg you can bend/push/place the clip at will. Now I've found what that weird screwdriver is all about! haha I'm lucky it was in my kit!

And don't forget to keep the H7 connector/adapter that sits at the base of the bulb. The first time, I thought I bought the wrong bulb when I've seen those wider-than-H7 connection legs.

fork-screwdriver.jpg
    Last edited by invivo; 12-20-2012 at 03:32 PM.

Registered Member

2005 Mazda5 1.8 MT

This weird screwdriver is actually intended for the removal of nails. (as used in timbering :-)))

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast