changing headlight bulb in Mazda 5

rebroth

Hello. I have successfully changed the driver side low beam headlight bulb but I cannot get the clamp back on the passenger side.

Any advise?!!! I must have spent over almost two hours trying to get that thing back on and my hands and fingers are hacked up!

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks!

Hello. I have successfully changed the driver side low beam headlight bulb but I cannot get the clamp back on the passenger side.

Any advise?!!! I must have spent over almost two hours trying to get that thing back on and my hands and fingers are hacked up!

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks!
I don't know if this will help you but here is the procedure on how to change the head lights from the factory service manual.

bcw7d.jpg

Also make sure to reuse the factory H7 adapter, the H7 bulb plugs into the adapter. Without it the retaining spring will not latch, here is a picture of the adapter.

28k6kg9.jpg

Wait, mazda is still using those horrible clamps on their new models? If thats the case I will NEVER buy another mazda vehicle again. I'm not kidding. Changing the bulbs on my
P5 (especially the cramped passenger side) is one of the most FRUSTRATING things I have ever done.

Wait, mazda is still using those horrible clamps on their new models? If thats the case I will NEVER buy another mazda vehicle again. I'm not kidding. Changing the bulbs on my
P5 (especially the cramped passenger side) is one of the most FRUSTRATING things I have ever done.

Took me a while to figure it out too. it's One of those 'skills' that can never be taught by reading a manual or even watching a video. One has to 'experience' removing that clamp inorder to be able to easily do it the next time.

And always replace them in pairs. Lots of cars have have headlights that are not equally bright. caused by replacing only one side. lolz.

Last edited:
*Thanks God*

My 2006 Premacy IS NOT that style bulb or socket. Whew! yes that style of bulb and socket should be a national safety recall, like a TOTAL RECALL. (inout)

Peace!(rei)

Thanks, everyone. Looks like there is no special secret to making this work. I do have the adaptor and that page from the manuel....I just can seem to get that spring back over the adaptor and under that metal piece....I am replacing both lamps as they are both out. I did have luck with the driver side, I just can't get the passenger side clamp back on. I hate to pay someone to do something I can do myself. I may let my bruises and pained fingers heal for a few days before I go back in there!

Thanks again everyone!

I want to find whoever designed that clamp and ask them what banana republic engineering school they went too. It might be the single thing I hate the most about my car. I'm not even kidding. Pus you have to have the hands of an Elf to get there and do what you need to do!

i remember it took me around a half hour to get my first bulb replaced in my protege. not i can do it no problem. you have to push it down and in a little bit. either way... it sucks that it is the same for the 5. at least i have a lot of experience since my protege used to eat bulbs.

Think that is a pain, try working on a CTS, had to remove the front bumper to get the housing unit out to change out the bulbs, That car belong to a friend, last time I'll get near one........Change my out for HID's and it took less then a hr and that was to make sure the ballast's were put in a good location.

I plan to buy the HID conversion kit from Xenon Experts but cannot figure out which bulb size to order. Sent 2 PMS to the vendor but have not received a response yet. Thought it might be easier if I just ask you all. Mine is a 2009 5 Touring.

Thanks in advance!

Do you need to have 'head light' alighment adjusted after an HID conversion? I've seen a increasing number of on-coming cars with HIDs that shines like they are on High Beam.

Do you need to have 'head light' alighment adjusted after an HID conversion? I've seen a increasing number of on-coming cars with HIDs that shines like they are on High Beam.

Yes. You can do it yourself with a screwdriver and a flat road area or large parking lot. It's up to you what you want to do. I can't see paying someone to align lights I can do myslef.

Peace!(rei)

Last edited:
Can someone tell me which kit I should get? I know I want 4300K or 5000K in terms of brightness, but H1, H5 or H11? Is there a special kit for rookies? I just want to increase the brightness of my low beam for night driving, nothing fancy. Thanks! :)

http://www.buyhidkits.com/

Can someone tell me which kit I should get? I know I want 4300K or 5000K in terms of brightness, but H1, H5 or H11? Is there a special kit for rookies? I just want to increase the brightness of my low beam for night driving, nothing fancy. Thanks! :)

A. it's up to you, how much can you afford really.

B. Do you plan to do it yourself? If so, there is a thread on the "Do it yourslef" for HID lights, NOT EASY but doable.

C. Have you considered just buying a higher output lightbulb INSTEAD of putting in HID lamps?

as far as "What one is easier" ask here:

LINK

Good luck, keep us posted and post pictures, BEFORE and AFTER.

Peace!(rei)

No $hit! Those retaining springs are the biggest PITA I've EVER dealt with!

I think all years of M5 uses H7 bulbs for their lo-beam. If you are in Canada you will also need a relay harness and a 16v 470uF capacitor to make the HID conversion to work with the Daytime Running Lights (DRL) circuit, US models do not have DRL so the relay harness is not needed.

Here is a link to my HID conversion experience:

http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123748611

Here are the links of where I bough my HID kit and relay harness. They are located in Hong Kong and the kit arrived in Montreal in 7 days. The capacitor are available at Radio Shack or The Source if you are in Canada:

http://www.vvme.com/standard-h7-hid-conversion-kit-p-51.html?cPath=44_45_23

http://www.vvme.com/relay-harness-for-single-beam-hid-kit-p-140.html?cPath=20

The standard kit that I got works fine but for installation I think the slim kit would have made installing it a little easier.

OMG...one of my bulbs went out so i'm in the middle of trying to change it out. i thought changing out the air cabin filter was hard. what the hell is mazda thinking with that retaining clip???? my hands are all cut up now and i still haven't had any success installing the bulb. anybody have any tips? please!

There is not enough 'maintenance space' on the 'passenger side'.
it's one of those times when you wish you have a small '90-degree' long-nose pliers. The tool should allow you to 'grip that retaining clip' properly and move it to where it should be, without the back of your hand getting cut by whatever is facing the back of the headlight.. lol.

I changed mine the hard-way, but I'm looking into getting the proper tool for the next time.

(loser)Man, I thought it was just me. I didn't notice the socket that holds the bulb first, finally got that in place and that clip made me want to kill someone with my torn up hands. (boom06)

I replaced it with a small led light at night in the rain (drinks) tomorrow comes the passenger side bulb, made me want to pull the headlights to replace bulbs.

Ok, found the only way I could replace the passenger side low beam on my `08 3 Hatch was to unclip the coolant tank from the fenderwell, set it on the valve cover, unclip the power steering fill and then you can have un-restricted access to the low beam on the passenger side....Nightmare clip needs a set of locking needlenose pliers.

Hope this helps someone.

Latest posts

Back