Will Mazda's get Microsoft SYNC anytime in the future?

Never gonna happen... At least in the next 4 years or so... And then still, probably never gonna happen.

hmm...isn't that a Ford exclusive? At least, that's the only place i've seen it mentioned on advertisements.

I wouldn't hold my breath on it, regaurdless of Ford owning part of Mazda.

hmm...isn't that a Ford exclusive? At least, that's the only place i've seen it mentioned on advertisements.

I wouldn't hold my breath on it, regaurdless of Ford owning part of Mazda.

It is Ford exclusive, they have a contract spaning several years. If Ford doesnt die out.

It is Ford exclusive, they have a contract spaning several years. If Ford doesnt die out.

Last I heard, they had exclusivity rights on it for only the first year. Sync 1.0 was tied only to Ford. After that, MS could market a product with the same basic architecture to other OEMs. I know Hyundai is working on a similar product that should be out in 2011.

Mazda as a whole needs to move up in terms of car audio/info/entertainment. My 07 MS6 has no iPod input, archaic LCD screen, and a very basic HU. My g/f's 09 6s Touring has Bose, which has a few improvements, but still just a 3.5mm headphone jack instead of USB connectivity, and no BT.

Mazda won't get Sync, but could get a derivative of it soon, but I wouldn't hold your breath. I will talk to my sources and see if the mid-refresh 6 has any enhancements, which might be a guide for other models. Ford selling 20% of its ownership in Mazda didn't help them either. Lately, Ford has been doing its own thing, instead of collaborating with others.

but still just a 3.5mm headphone jack instead of USB connectivity
doesn't a 3.5mm headphone jack make much more sense to have in a car than a USB jack? not all media devices can output audio via USB. sure if you do USB you can build in increased functionality to control the player from the HU but then you would have to have drivers for and know how to interface with all types of media players

Last I heard, they had exclusivity rights on it for only the first year. Sync 1.0 was tied only to Ford.

I heard they had rights for 3 years. But I heard that through the grapevine, so not very solid.

I heard they had rights for 3 years. But I heard that through the grapevine, so not very solid.

I'm not 100% sure either. It's been a while since I've seen any info on that topic to be honest.

doesn't a 3.5mm headphone jack make much more sense to have in a car than a USB jack? not all media devices can output audio via USB. sure if you do USB you can build in increased functionality to control the player from the HU but then you would have to have drivers for and know how to interface with all types of media players

True, but USB also allows for charging without extra cables (iPod/Zune). Let's face it, iPods dominate the media player category, and next to that would be cell phones. With all newer phones going to a mini-USB charging cable, you could simplify this with one cable to do data and charge in one.

Personally, I'd love to see them continue the USB and 3.5 jack near each other. You cover all the bases that way. Yes, it requires more design into the HU, but I don't think it would necessarily drive the cost up.

But think of all the updates that come out every year with out proper testing and all there problems. It would be sweet.

It truly is a great system for ease of use and keeping you focused on the road, and at the price to add it in, you'd be foolish not to. If you spend the $$$ and opt for the nav screen, it really sets it self apart and is an awesome upgrade.

My friend has this in his Ford. He was showing me how it works. He said Rock N Roll and it played Metallica. Which I am not a fan of, so he said Hip Hop and 2Pac came on. Thank Goodness it went there and not Black Eyed Peas. Then these kids ran out infront of us and he screamed F**k those kids, and Micheal Jackson came on. Man that Sync is intuitive!

I'm too lazy to search for this, but isn't there some kind of aftermarket HU w/ similar qualities? Most of the newer DD HU's have some pretty advanced features.

or at the very least something shiny that is marginally better. they'll even include things like proprietary tires, oil and batteries at no extra charge

or at the very least something shiny that is marginally better. they'll even include things like proprietary tires, oil and batteries at no extra charge

somebody's been drinking the Microsoft punch! Let's do a quick comparison:

Microsoft uses technologies/formats such as WMA, Trident/MSHTML, Silverlight, etc. - all proprietary & closed

Apple's equivalent technologies/formats are AAC, WebKit, H.264, etc. - all open-source

anyway, I personally do not want any Microsoft tech in my Mazda. Bottom line is, Microsoft's stuff is all full of bugs and/or lacks the quality I'd expect from Mazda... and don't give me their keyboards and mice as an example of quality, because Logitech makes them.

(in the interest of full disclosure, I am obviously a huge Apple fan, but I'm also an avid Xbox 360 gamer.)

Back