The RFID Ignition Thread

hedlesschkn

:
2002 Mazda Protege5
okay so im thinking we get an RFID "relay" meaning a relay that activates when the rfid tag is nearby. and a 3 position button for off,acc,start (actually harder to find than i thought it would be, could do a switch and button thing like racecars have though)

so wire the switch in parallel to your keyed ignition and the rfid relay inline with that (both the button and relay would need to be activated to complete the circut and being in parallel retains keyed ignition). now also on the same rfid relay either have it power the driver's door unlock solenoid or get an extra remote(like one of the ones this post was originally about) and have the rfid trigger the unlock button (and the lock button when out of range). can anyone here verify for me what happens when you hold down the unlock/lock buttons on a p5 remote? the concern is constantly powering that solenoid is bad.

some food for thought:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4KCe0l1ppc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GU9d2dUSNOU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDu-jvDdbZs
http://www.digitalguarddawg.com/
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,1938960,00.asp

if you put this together with a parts list and wiring diagram I would ABSOLUTELY do it... RFID for the door locks would be less important to me...

actually, RFID doorlocks would be a bad idea for me, because my car is parked literally directly below my bedroom.

if you put this together with a parts list and wiring diagram I would ABSOLUTELY do it... RFID for the door locks would be less important to me...

actually, RFID doorlocks would be a bad idea for me, because my car is parked literally directly below my bedroom.

yeah that could pose a problem however, i just feel like why have keyless if you need to take your keys out to unlock it anyways... also, im not sure the rfid would have the range to beable to work through your garage's ceiling anyways

unlocking the car with the factory keyless, drop keys back in pocket, get in, push start button, go.

I'd likely leave the ignition on (but have a hidden switch to power it off) as the RFID relay would shut it off for me.

most cars with RFID unlock have a button on the handle you have to push... otherwise idk how you'd actuate the locks.. if it was just RFID, you'd be giving power to the unlock circuit any time you were near the car... unless you programmed it somehow.

then if you did that, say the unlock didn't work the first time because it had signal interference or you grabbed the handle right when it came in range... would you have to walk away from the car and come back?

For all that BS the factory keyless would be fine by me.

we're threadjacking pretty badly here... mind if we get the RFID stuff split into a new thread?

Last edited:
we're threadjacking pretty badly here... mind if we get the RFID stuff split into a new thread?

hehe, all part of my master scheme to bump the hell out of this thread so someone will sell me a p5 remote muahahaha! but seriously, would you like me to make one and link it or are you going to use your magic moderator powers?

and yeah that's why i inquired as to what happens when you hold the unlock button down on a p5 remote. i suppose a button could be installed under the handle or something anyways (wanna hide it a bit from elements and curious people), from what i remember with my car audio adventure our doors are fairly open with plenty of room to mount crap. and that would be better than it unlocking when near anyways, just in case for security reasons. i would like it to auto lock when out of range though if possible, that would be quite convenient (even though i already have the habit of pressing the lock button whenever i open the door anyways)

I'd likely leave the ignition on (but have a hidden switch to power it off) as the RFID relay would shut it off for me.

you mean the car automatically goes into acc mode when the rfid is active and then the push button to start? theoretically that would be cool and takes care of having to find a 3 position button but with all the sub/amp s*** i have going on that would be asking for trouble. i'm sure my battery would crap itself somehow or another. i guess on the same token id be fine with having to use the key to get into acc, as its pretty rare for me to use acc anyways (drive in movie maybe?) im thinking realistically the best option would be a switchblade/keyless and an rfid tag push button start, that way all the bases are covered. i still think the rfid door locks would be boss if done correctly though

Last edited:
and yeah that's why i inquired as to what happens when you hold the unlock button down on a p5 remote. i suppose a button could be installed under the handle or something anyways (wanna hide it a bit from elements and curious people), from what i remember with my car audio adventure our doors are fairly open with plenty of room to mount crap. and that would be better than it unlocking when near anyways, just in case for security reasons. i would like it to auto lock when out of range though if possible, that would be quite convenient (even though i already have the habit of pressing the lock button whenever i open the door anyways)

you mean the car automatically goes into acc mode when the rfid is active and then the push button to start? theoretically that would be cool and takes care of having to find a 3 position button but with all the sub/amp s*** i have going on that would be asking for trouble. i'm sure my battery would crap itself somehow or another. i guess on the same token id be fine with having to use the key to get into acc, as its pretty rare for me to use acc anyways (drive in movie maybe?) im thinking realistically the best option would be a switchblade/keyless and an rfid tag push button start, that way all the bases are covered. i still think the rfid door locks would be boss if done correctly though

I wouldn't wanna mount an exterior button.. theres no really good weatherproof way to do it.

you could easily get an RFID relay to activate the ignition circuit to the "on position" with proper wiring. I think you would just want to have a hidden override so you could sit in the car in the acc position should you need to.. and just use the key.

Last edited:
i'm liking this idea, an RFID relay can't be all that expensive can it? it seems like it would be as simple as wiring up the relay and button in series and then that loop in parallel with the "start" on your keyed ignition. i'v read about horror stories on the steering column lock though, does anyone know what makes that lock up or not?

the relay would need to handle the ignition circuit.. you could even set the starter on its own circuit, so you could try to start the car with the ignition off.. but ideally, the starter would be disabled when the ignition was.

Back