2007 Mazda5 "sways" running over bumps at highway speed

ohaegs5

:
2010 Mazda5 Touring
Evening ladies & gents-

My wife and I have noticed the past couple months that when we're driving at highway speeds (55-65mph) and our 5 goes over a bump, it feels like the rear end is being pulled to the right (passenger side). I've never felt it driving around town over bumps. It's so bad, my wife now refuses to drive it if she's going on the highway. It's usually worst when we hit a groove/bump that crosses the road, so it's absorbed by all 4 wheels. Make sense? Anyone else experience this problem before - a search didn't appear to find anything similar. Tires are 4 months new. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Seen this before on a brand new M5'07. The shocks doesn't have any leaks but the shaft on the shocks is stuck internally, replace the shocks and it should correct the problem.

Be aware that the dealership will tell you that there is no problem with the shocks.., we have to fight for it, to a point where I want to return my M5 to the dealership, then the dealership manager have to get the service manager to go ahead and replace the shocks. Until, it was replaced then the service tech agreed. The dealership should still have records of the repair done on my car. (AJAX MAZDA my dealership)

I have this same problem but its coming in front pulling in both direction over bumps at highway . first service checked and replace my front drive shaft & wheel bearing on front passenger side, after few hours of driving it still "sways". I return to service for 3 time and they keep saying that nothing wrong with the car. just yesterday I return it again I let the service manager to drive, at first he still saying that their no problem. until I said to try a speed bump, then he hear squeak sound coming at the strut. now they said strut bearing is damage, now their is a knocking sound at high speed driving @ 40-70mph. but I suspected that the whole strut/shock assembly has a problem. hopefully this will solve the problem.

(attention)

Yes folks, this is a 'cut and dry' (simple) strut issue, sorry to say Mazda is one of the worse for strut issues, followed by Honda in a very close second.

Peace!(rei)

My 5 felt the same way, no issues after replacing the shocks/struts.

My dealer would not help with the defective shocks and struts even though I complained about them at 35k, and 45k miles. (nuts)

Be aware that the dealership will tell you that there is no problem with the shocks.., we have to fight for it, to a point where I want to return my M5 to the dealership, then the dealership manager have to get the service manager to go ahead and replace the shocks. Until, it was replaced then the service tech agreed. The dealership should still have records of the repair done on my car. (AJAX MAZDA my dealership)

This also happened on my 07GT3 months only 3 months after delivery. I'm w/ Ajax Mazda and they replaced it. And its also rear driver side. Bought the car september 07

Both my rear shocks went out, and Scarboro Mazda replaced the right one under warranty at 64,000 km. However, when the left one went out at 86,000 km, they refused to do anything about it even though I purchased the extended warranty. They said it was "wear and tear". I disagree and believe that the struts are not properly designed to accommodate the weight of the Mazda5.

I replaced my rear shocks with Monroe Sensatracs and find the performance to be a little bit better than OEM, and with the added benefit of a lifetime warranty.

I documented all of my problems here:

http://www.mymazda5lemon.blogspot.com/

Please comment!

I know this is kind of an old thread; but thank God I'm not the only person to have these problems with my '07. I noticed the rear end feeling like it wanted to break loose when hitting bumps, bridge joints, and potholes on the highway. I'm also getting a rattling from the rear when going over bumps (more so at lower speeds on the rattling/clunking noise). So it sounds like I'm just another '07 5 owner with rear oem struts/shocks that are all but dead. I found a good write up on here about replacing them with KYBs, so I'm just going to do that and leave the dealer out of the picture on this. Don't feel like hassling with them over it; and my 5 is way out of warranty anyways ;)

Back