How To: Ebay FMIC

the more mods I did, the worse my car idled. relocated MAF = back to perfect drivability.... I swear by relocated MAF now, and I was hesitant to do it.

19,000+ Posts. My god. (bowdown) On another note, when I did the install of my FMIC, I cut about 2.5" out of the crash bar, using an angle grinder with a cutting blade. Was a tough cut, but no match for a pack of 5 blades. ;) Nonetheless, I think if your going to touch the crash bar at all, I'd just get a kit much like the Perrin. Or, Custom Fab your own 'crash bar' made to specifically hold the intercooler, perhaps 1" steel square bar-stock. May end up doing it to mine anyways, still have about 3 inches of my core covered by the front lip.

Last edited:
19,000+ Posts. My god. (bowdown) On another note, when I did the install of my FMIC, I cut about 2.5" out of the crash bar, using an angle grinder with a cutting blade. Was a tough cut, but no match for a pack of 5 blades. ;) Nonetheless, I think if your going to touch the crash bar at all, I'd just get a kit much like the Perrin. Or, Custom Fab your own 'crash bar' made to specifically hold the intercooler, perhaps 1" steel square bar-stock. May end up doing it to mine anyways, still have about 3 inches of my core covered by the front lip.

for some this is OK, I'd never remove my crash bar. I've decided I'm not even going to do the trim operation to move the core up either. stock crash bar... because if I crash it... I'm gonna want that thing there.

and yeah, I spend WAY too much time on here. 10K posts per year is retarded.

Yeah, or the bumper bottom.

Heres mine with the crash bar cut
DSC02958.jpg

DSC02617.jpg

DSC02621.jpg

I fit a 3" without cutting anything (just trimmed the "tabs" that stick back in the bottom of the grill opening). if you mounted a 3.5" a little further back than I did you should be fine. mine is basically flush with the crash bar, with a little bit of an angle with the lower being slightly further back than the upper.

Last edited:
Alright, thanks for the help. 3.5" thick intercooler core as you recommended enroute with matching piping.

Back