How To: Ebay FMIC

"Turbo cars don't need CAIs, thats what the intercooler is for"
don't make me hurt you.

though, realistically, this is a pretty fair statement. the difference of 5* or so that a CAI might make is nothing compared to what a properly vs improperly sized IC. heat soak is a killer.

thx for sharing your knowledge.

Jas

the routing I used will interfere, however, you're welcome to go with a different cold pipe routing and keep the CAI. personally, I don't believe (opinions differ) the CAI gives you any gains over the SRI...

I recommend about a 26*5-6*3 core. but you can do whatever you want with those dimensions, as there is plenty of space.

my setup goes through the firewall before both fogs...i have 90 degree adapters on each side of the intercooler and it goes right in beside the radiator

Any chance we can get pictures of your set up. Is it similar to a Perrin/Turbolife but with a front crashbar?

the hiboost kit does that... so you could just mimmick it. and speed5hornet (bought my IC core from him) also had this done by PG. His crash bar was all hacked up and had piping running through it too.

Try driving full boost for a little and then sit in bumper to bumper traffic for 20min and tell me about heatsoak. Without a CAI this was very bad in my situation and the difference in intake temps was incredible even with 2 big slimfans

mp3-79bronco, any chance of those pic's yet? I'm curious how you were able to do the piping on the hot side. How did you go around the power steering cooler? It looks like there's not enough space in that area for a hot pipe and how long is the intercooler? Thanks.

i bent it out of the way the first time and this time i removed the windshield washer resevoir and ran the ps cooler through there so it was completely out of the way...

also ill try to get pics tomorrow its been raining and ive been busy, sorry

power steering cooler?

Here's a picture from Turbolife's FMIC instructions (I hope he doesn't mind that I used his pictures).

DSC_0003.JPG

DSC_0006.JPG

You can see them just in front of the AC radiator.

fit yes.. but to have it fit well you should trim the crash bar so you can mount it higher. 5" is about the most you can fit before needing to trim.

i think im going to try welding up a custom support bar for my FMIC,
i hacked up my bumper support but i dont like the way it fits still

fit yes.. but to have it fit well you should trim the crash bar so you can mount it higher. 5" is about the most you can fit before needing to trim.

Sorry, I've never looked into this until now. Crash bar being the horizontal bar that the FMIC mounts to?

the crash bar is exactly what it sounds like.. the word "crash bar" is used because when you say 'bumper' people (people who don't remember back when chrome bumpers were the in thing) think you mean the plastic part... when in fact the "bumper" is the steel thing that absorbs and distributes impact. the bumper COVER is the plastic thing.

just a lingual thing really. but yes, you are correct. in most cases, the FMIC is bolted to the 'crash bar' (as referenced here).

the crash bar is exactly what it sounds like.. the word "crash bar" is used because when you say 'bumper' people (people who don't remember back when chrome bumpers were the in thing) think you mean the plastic part... when in fact the "bumper" is the steel thing that absorbs and distributes impact. the bumper COVER is the plastic thing.

just a lingual thing really. but yes, you are correct. in most cases, the FMIC is bolted to the 'crash bar' (as referenced here).

Awesome, thanks. That 'crash bar' saved the CAI in my old car. :p

Just for a second opinion does this kit look good to you Wagon? It's a CX Racing piping kit
kit250-J-eb45-blK-DA.gif

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back