2007+ Mazda5 Horn Upgrade - Multiple Pics - 56k connection beware

Actually, the horn already has a relay, no point in going redundant unless you are overtaxing the dedicated fuse or ugrading to insanity like South-FL-5.

The funny thing is that the FSM lists a 'high' and 'low' horn already...?

View attachment 179951

I live IN south Florida and there are a lot of VERY OLD FOLKS here that don't hear too well, So its not a over kill.

This is a great write up with excelent and detailed pictures. Hopefully the OP will not later on remove the photos from photobucket as down the road, this will make this write up useless.

Thanks.

P.S.
Is there any way to keep the photos here on the site?

Where the heck did they hide the relay?

Actually, the horn already has a relay, no point in going redundant unless you are overtaxing the dedicated fuse or ugrading to insanity like South-FL-5.

The funny thing is that the FSM lists a 'high' and 'low' horn already...?

View attachment 179951

I think I hear it clicking but cannot find the relay in the fuse boxes, etc???

Where is it???

thanks
I just installed hi & lo tone horns (again as the Fiamm low tone died & oem hi tone was feeble) but did not know if I needed to add a relay as the owner's manual does not ID the relays.

MDE - just wanted to say thanks for posting this, gave me motivation to do mine..
I just installed a second horn in my 2012 M5, read up this thread and was all ready to take off the front bumper, but thankfully Mazda changed some stuff under there because it's easily accessible now with just the undertay removed and driver's fender liner peeled back.
Thanks again! cheers
Kurt
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123812023-Added-a-second-horn-because-Mazda-didn-t

Thanks to the OP for posting this. It was very helpful to know where the clips are. A couple of points to add/clarify or my 2008 Sport is somehow different (would not surprise me).

-All bolt attachments are 8mm, not 10mm.
-Both fog light harnesses are attached to the cover BUT the left (driver) side harness also has an additional clip that suspends the wiring harness attached to the fog light cover
-Tip: Due to it being top (front) heavy, once all bolts are loose the bumper tends to want to fall face/chin down. You do NOT want to take it off pulling down or even pulling straight forward b/c there are two tabs (the hidden bolt on each side) that points inward and will scratch the fender. You want to grab the front chin of the bumper and swing it down (fender mount going downward) and up to avoid contact.

Now to find a nice set of cheap horns and make a trip to the dealer to get a replacement washer pump.

Last edited:
My 2012 has the same weak horn. I recently purchased Hella trumpet horns. I got intimidated when they came with a relay. I thought I might have to rewire the whole thing. Seeing this makes me wonder if I need the relay, or if I should just return it and get the Wolo horns that were installed here. I don't really trust my electrical work when it comes to these new cars. Anybody wanna share their opinions?

I'm planning on replacing or adding another horn on my 2012 Mazda5 Sport. If adding, I'm tempted to place a hidden switch to the second horn to turn it off when getting it serviced.

I found the Wolo low tone horn at Drillspot.com for under $11 shipped. Search for Wolo 380-2T. They have the high tone horn as well. It arrived in 1 day, drop-shipped from Grainger Industrial Supply.

JMJ

Last edited:
Just added a low tone horn (WOLO brand, $15 @ local parts store) on my 07 Mz5 GT over the weekend. Went with the jumper wiring connection route instead of splicing the OEM wire. I was fortunate to get access to the horn by removing the bumper without having to jack up the car or removing the wheels. It sure cut down the extra steps for me to do an otherwise easy job. Works great and now my horn sounds full and not wimpy. Thanks to this post.

Last edited:
Sorry for the old thread bump but this was very useful and wanted to say THANKS!

I have a pair of Hella Supertones on order. Had them on my MSP and absolutely loved them. Glad to see the M5 is just as easy an install! :D

So has anyone installed Hellas on the mz5? I ended up installing them in the stock location but the sound projection from one side of the car to the other is night/day.

I found mounting points behind the grill but the airbag sensor shares it and I don't want to mess with that.

Ideas?

Back