2007+ Mazda5 Horn Upgrade - Multiple Pics - 56k connection beware

mde8965

Finally got around to replacing that wimpy sounding "meep meep" horn with dual horns. The horns I used were 135db models. I used a low tone horn and a high tone horn. I got the horns from carparts.com for $16.00 for the two horns (contrary to my writeup below that says $31 as the $31 was for 4 horns). The 3 wire tap I got from Radio Shack for $3.99 for a 10 pack. The wire I got from Radio Shack a while ago.

I elected to remove the front bumper to do the horns. It is remotely possible that you could do this without removing the bumper, but you would have a heck of a time working from the ground looking up into the tight space that these horns occupy.

The car in the writeup is my 2009 Sport. Let me know if you have any questions or comments. In total, with taking all the photos and working slow and deliberate, it took me about 2 hours to do this. Without having to take the pics, it probably would have taken an hour or so.

EDIT - Forgot to mention, these horns are LOUD. Much louder than stock. They also have a deeper tone that sounds great and not at all like the "meep meep" sound that comes from the single stock horn

Mazda5Horn1.jpg

Mazda5Horn2.jpg

Mazda5Horn3.jpg

Mazda5Horn4.jpg

Mazda5Horn5.jpg

Mazda5Horn6.jpg

Mazda5Horn7.jpg

Mazda5Horn8.jpg

Mazda5Horn9.jpg

Mazda5Horn10.jpg

Mazda5Horn111.jpg

Mazda5Horn112.jpg

Mazda5Horn113.jpg

Mazda5Horn12.jpg

Mazda5Horn13.jpg

Mazda5Horn14.jpg

Mazda5Horn15.jpg

Mazda5Horn16.jpg

Mazda5Horn17.jpg

Mazda5Horn18.jpg

Mazda5Horn19.jpg

Mazda5Horn20.jpg

Mazda5Horn21.jpg

Mazda5Horn22.jpg

Mazda5Horn23.jpg

Mazda5Horn24.jpg

Mazda5Horn25.jpg

Mazda5Horn26.jpg

Mazda5Horn27.jpg

Mazda5Horn28.jpg

Mazda5Horn29.jpg

Mazda5Horn30.jpg

Mazda5Horn31.jpg

Mazda5Horn32.jpg

Mazda5Horn33.jpg

Mazda5Horn34.jpg

Mazda5Horn35.jpg

Mazda5Horn36.jpg

Mazda5Horn37.jpg

Mazda5Horn38.jpg

Mazda5Horn39.jpg

Mazda5Horn40.jpg

Mazda5Horn41.jpg

Mazda5Horn42.jpg

Mazda5Horn43.jpg

Mazda5Horn44.jpg

Mazda5Horn45.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, very nice write up. Your pictures are very thoughtful, detailed and clear.
You're a how-to guru.

Are you going to do the same to your 2010 Mazda3?

I elected to remove the front bumper to do the horns.

Wow, that is a lot just for horns, but thanks for share,
should we need to remove the bumper for something else.

It is remotely possible that you
could do this without removing the bumper, but you would
have a heck of a time working from the ground looking up
into the tight space that these horns occupy.

Or use the car lift at the on military post auto hobby shop :)

Keep in mind folks, that the horns are one wire hook up and
if you want, you can add to the stock ones in place, more
horns = more sound.

Also you can relocate the horns (Stock or after market ones)
to a different location on the vehicle, like one front and one rear,
or one on each side up front. Because you can ground them to
anyplace, just need to run the hot wire to the horn.

Great pictures and write up ! :)

Peace!(rei)

Wow, that is a lot just for horns, but thanks for share,
should we need to remove the bumper for something else.

Or use the car lift at the on military post auto hobby shop :)

Trust me, its easier to just remove the bumper. The only other option is to remove the front driver side wheel, remove the wheel well liner and go at it that way. Even with that you will be working in very tight confines and it will be hard to see and hard to get wrenches etc... in there. With a lift it might be a litter easier than without but space and craning your neck upward to work on the horns would kill me as I have neck injuries.

If you can use a screwdriver, the bumper is off in 20 minutes tops.-- 10 if you've done it before... The whole project would not take more than 1-2 hours...

To me the horn is a safety device (and therefore VERY important) and in my opinion the one that Mazda gave us is not loud enough and its tone makes other drivers not take it as seriously. Can't tell you how many times I have had to use my horn in my Mazda5 and how other drivers just do not seem to react to it. My Mazda3 was even worse before I did the horns on it.

Wow, impressive. Thanks for the detailed pics!

Oh, and yes, here is the right place to post it

Your awesome guide has inspired me to axe the aweful stock horns and add my own.

Thanks so much, MDE 8965

Wow... nice write up!

I don't have a write up, but I also installed duel horns... well worth it. I just added a low tone to the stock horn.

2009-9-15197Medium.jpg

(shady)
2009-9-15196Medium.jpg

michael.

ReD Headz - Cool - Neverthought to turn the one horn around backwards to give more room. What year is your car? I swear I don't think there was enough room on mine to do that...

In the past few months I got pushed out my own lane twice by distracted drivers who first didn't notice my car and then couldn't hear my desperate honking. I am a defensive driver and I always stay out of other cars' blind spots, but these two cars kept moving towards me even AFTER I honked for 3+ seconds. Luckily I was able to swerve to avoid the impact without hitting another car, but the horn was definitely a disappointment. The question for me is if I should do this myself or get an auto mechanic do it. It looks like a lot of work. Considering the fact that the HID installation took me 3+ hours, how long do you think this will take me? :)

Trust me, its easier to just remove the bumper. The only other option is to remove the front driver side wheel, remove the wheel well liner and go at it that way. Even with that you will be working in very tight confines and it will be hard to see and hard to get wrenches etc... in there. With a lift it might be a litter easier than without but space and craning your neck upward to work on the horns would kill me as I have neck injuries.

If you can use a screwdriver, the bumper is off in 20 minutes tops.-- 10 if you've done it before... The whole project would not take more than 1-2 hours...

To me the horn is a safety device (and therefore VERY important) and in my opinion the one that Mazda gave us is not loud enough and its tone makes other drivers not take it as seriously. Can't tell you how many times I have had to use my horn in my Mazda5 and how other drivers just do not seem to react to it. My Mazda3 was even worse before I did the horns on it.

Nice write up! I just wanted to add that when adding extra loads to a circuit (like larger, multiple, or more powerful horns), it is sometimes good to use an external horn relay. Some Fiamm and Hella horns come with a relay in their kits. It is pretty simple to add to what you did, the only extra work is running a fused power wire to the battery. The factory power wire is used as a signal to close the relay (0 delay), and the horns then draw power directly from the battery instead. Not always a necessary step, but the load from some horns will be beyond what the factory wiring was designed to take. I have seen the contacts on horn buttons fried, and factory relays burned out, caused by the extra load from aftermarket horns. This is more of a problem in areas where they use road salt, and wiring and the horns themselves are subjected to corrosion, moisture, and ice/freezing conditions.

Last edited:
I Installed mega blasters on my 5 it can wake up the dead. Next time i remove the front i will post some photos. Real easy to install.
118872190_tp.jpg

118872206_tp.jpg

showimage.aspx

Last edited:
Actually, the horn already has a relay, no point in going redundant unless you are overtaxing the dedicated fuse or ugrading to insanity like South-FL-5.

The funny thing is that the FSM lists a 'high' and 'low' horn already...?

View attachment Horn Wiring.pdf

I did this on my 3 and will prb get around to doing it on the 5 as well

Just some more inspiration for folks...if all you are doing is adding another horn...instead of splicing into the factory wiring you can just make a jumper like this and get power to both

horn13.jpg

another example

33446_08_07_08_8_11_52.jpg

Back