Protge321's Turbo Build

i dont think the maf can be too close to the tb, i remember reading it somewhere but dont remember the distance recommended

By putting the maf on the turbo intake, that means the bov will be after the maf, meaning when you blow off, your car will hesitate and possibly stall due to incorrect numbers since the bov changes it.

Yes the bov can go on the hot pipe.

Damian: Thats just you, its not guaranteed, why not just do it like everyone knows it'll work instead of gambling?

Dude, like I said, its not 100% that you can run the maf before the bov, so if hes setting it up, why not go the 100% route where he KNOWS it won't be a problem?

It doesn't make any real performance difference but if you're venting, I'd suggest on the hot pipe and if you're recirculating on the cold pipe.

If you're venting, you're just wasting the air, so why waste the cold air thats went through the IC? Waste the hot air that didn't make it through the IC.

If you're recirculating, the air being let out goes back into the intake so it makes more sense the let the already cooled air go back into the intake so it gets cooled again, instead of putting hot air back in the intake.

Honestly, it doesn't matter if its the cold pipe or hot, of if its vented or not, there is not any performance differences in any combination.

oh alright, that solves that. more than 12" from the turbo? does it matter? with the short pipes, i just dont believe ill have room for the MAF and BOV on the cold pipe. plus like you said, why waste cold air, makes sense to me.

Bov just has to be away from the maf, if the maf is going on the cold side, and bov on the hot, nothing to worry about, place it where ever you want.

I would of put my bov on the hot pipe but that would of made my vac line even longer since I needed to hide mine in the bumper.

oh i forgot about the vacuum line, i dont think its an issue though. well im ordering the Tial 50mm BOV kit, intercooler, and 2.5" piping soon. (2thumbs)

the reason why the maf doesn't affect stalling when blowing off on the stock msp setup is because the stock msp setup recirculates...if you run a VTA setup with the maf on the inlet pipe you WILL stall coming out of boost straight down to idle, period

if you place the maf on the pressure side before the bov and VTA, you will stall coming out of boost straight down to idle...period

if you place the maf on the pressure side after the bov and VTA, you will not stall coming out of boost straight down to idle

this is from personal experience with several bovs and keeping the maf both in the stock location, before the bov on the pressure side, and after...as well as using several different intercooling piping routes, and with oem msp piping....using a second gen HKS SSQV, a GReddy, a bosch bypass valve, and a TurboXS VTA only bov...you will stall coming out of boost straight down to idle if you vent to atmosphere any air after the MAF has read how much air is flowing into the motor because the motor will choke itself out with fuel as it is compensating for X amount of airflow and only actually receiving a portion of that amount of airflow

on the note of bov placement to determine whether or not the coldpipe or hotpipe is ideal...it doesn't matter if you are wasting cold air or not because the only use of colder/denser air is for performance gains, which is not an issue when you are releasing pressure in the pipes (i.e. not on the throttle)

what IS an issue is how quickly you are able to relieve pressure in the pipes to avoid compressor surge...now on our setup at under 10psi it doesn't really make any difference which pipe you are running your bov on, however if you have the choice between the two the rule of thumb is to place your bov on the coldpipe...this being that colder air is denser air, and as such you are able to relieve pressure in the intercooler piping faster with denser air...but again, this isn't really going to make any difference at such a small about of CFM of airflow that a t25 produces

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back