Protge321's Turbo Build

i cand find a core thats 28 that has a width bigger that 7. i guess i could mount it lower because the a/c condenser will no longer be in the way.

what do u need bigger then 7 for? the opening in your bumper is only like 4 inches so even if u find a bigger one it wouldnt be getting air on all of it so it would be kind of pointless
I have a 28x7x2.5 and it will fit the opening in my p5 bumper perfectly once i cut the bumper support

i want to mount the intercooler in the spots in the picture, with a 7" width, the core will not reach the bottom of the bumper.

oh ok, well how are you going to mount it?
im welding brackets to my bumper support but since u dont have one im not sure how ur going to do that

Nice! i'm glad to see you're another one to remove the a/c! ...tho that does remind me to actually finish making my how-to thread! oops... i'll try and get it done tomorrow night!

the one that i got is 28x5.5x2.5, it was the smallest one that i could find! :p

oh your doing a write up on it?! i have been looking for one! let me know the link when you finish it up.

Short piping doesn't give quicker spool, its just a myth. @ 10psi or less, a foot or two in extra piping isn't gonna make any kind of noticeable difference. 30psi on a track car, maybe, but on a protege, yeah, doesn't make a difference.

myth busted! ...er, just testing you...hehe

no, it makes sense, a shorter distance for solids or liquids would make more of a difference than a gas, such as the air in the ic pipes.... slight difference.

Thats why I said on a track car, yes there would be a difference, but on this setup, it makes no difference cause its not noticeable in any way. I'm not saying literally, no its the same, I'm just saying the difference is so minimal, why could through any hassle trying to make the pipes short as possible if in the end, the pull will be identical. This to me is the same as ppl removing interior pieces to save weight, difference? Yes. Noticeable? No. (thumb)

IC size is important, that can greatly affect spool time if its over sized. The 28"x7"x2.5" core is about as big as you wanna go for a 10psi or less setup. If you do more, the turbolife or perrin is perfect but major overkill for stockish levels of boost.

Last edited:
yeah im going to go with a 28"x7"x2.5". should be ordering that by the end of the week and picking up an oil pan for tapping/welding from u-pull-it this weekend, have someone that might be selling me some ss coolant lines for a steal also!! so i was thinking of running throttle body--> BOV --> MAF --> Intercooler. good?

Last edited:
yeah im going to go with a 28"x7"x2.5". should be ordering that by the end of the week and picking up an oil pan for tapping/welding from u-pull-it this weekend, have someone that might be selling me some ss coolant lines for a steal also!! so i was thinking of running throttle body--> BOV --> MAF --> Intercooler. good?

Bov has to go BEFORE the maf(in air to motor travel), not after. It doesn't matter if its on the cold pipe of hot pipe but it needs to go at least 12" before the maf or you'll have stalling issues.

Intercooler placement doesn't matter, where ever you wanna put the bov before the maf is fine.

Turbo---->BOV---->MAF---->Motor

Intercooler can be before or after the BOV.

does it matter how close the MAF is to the throttle body?
so that means the BOV could go on the hot pipe?

I don't think so, as far as I know, you just want it to not be on top of the bov. You might not have that much play in maf location due to the wires, don't forget that.

Back