Backup/Reverse Camera on MS3?

DaViper

:
2016 Mazda6 GT
Has anyone here installed a backup or reverse camera on their MS3? I know in most cases there is no need for one since it's a small car, but I fill my car with DJ equipment pretty often and can't see out the back when I do this. I have an Alpine IVA-W205 and I'd like to hook up a backup camera so I can see when I fill my car with DJ gear.

From doing a lot of thinking about this, it seems a license plate mounted reverse camera would look the best, since there isn't a good spot to put the camera otherwise (except maybe under the spoiler, but I don't think that would look good).

Has anyone here tried this before? I'm not sure how I would route the power and video wire into the car from the license plate. I'm wondering if I would have to drill a hole in the bumper behind the license plate for this (which I guess isn't a problem since it would be covered by the license plate).

Any thoughts/ideas?

my P5 had one when i got it, but i wasnt much of a fan of it.... took it right out, its sitting somewhere

I had a VR-3 on my Ram. It worked well 'til the camera fogged over. Really handy for hookin' up the trailer.

I ended up installing one. However not into the 3rd break light/spoiler like I wanted. Works nicely, but I want to get a better camera installed.

For now I just got one of these:
https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

I took a good look at the spoiler design today, and although you'd get a much higher view from that mounting point, I don't think that you would see the end of the bumper because of the way the hatch bulges out.

Assuming I'm able to install this ok, I'll post some pics when it's done and of the view from the screen! Hopefully will install it Sunday.

For now I just got one of these:
https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

I took a good look at the spoiler design today, and although you'd get a much higher view from that mounting point, I don't think that you would see the end of the bumper because of the way the hatch bulges out.

Assuming I'm able to install this ok, I'll post some pics when it's done and of the view from the screen! Hopefully will install it Sunday.

I bought an Ebay one and wasn't happy. You are right about the spoiler design. it hindered the camera's view a lot.

I ran the wires through the drain plug located in the spare tire well.

double post u fail!!! lol.. subbin to see the results from this.

edit: he fixed his double post in 4 minutes hahaha

Last edited:
Back