Showcase your winter set-ups please

Folks I need pics and reviews of your current winter set-ups, preferably 17" combos. I'm ready to buy a set and am torn between dedicated studless snows or performance winters. Don't care much about the wheels, but at the same time don't want garbage. Post up pics if you have them.

I found a 17 inch wheel from Kosei with a weight of 13.7 lbs.!

pic from last year of my blizzaks on 17s

wintersetup.jpg

Since your in Boston, I'm assuming those tires are WS-50 or 60's? Wheel specs? For me I'll probably go with performance winter. Thanks for posting.

damn, those wheels look great, regardless of winter or summer. what are they?

I already posted a pic in your other thread, but here are a couple more from the first winter I had the car, right after I bought it:

ALEXKeil030.jpg

ALEXKeil001.jpg

P_00103.jpg

...and the pic I posted in the other thread:
P_00107.jpg

As I said before, they're 17"x7" et44 Ford Fusion alloys with 215/50R17 Dunlop Wintersport M3 tires.

I actually got a screaming deal on ebay from a former MS6 owner that had used the setup for one season (the previous winter). I paid him $400 and met him halfway between Detroit and Chicago in order to get them from him without having to deal with shipping.

They strike a very good balance between dry grip and snow/ice traction. Definitely adequate for Chicago winters, anyway. :)

Pics from last year: 17" O.Z. Superleggera & Blizzak LM-25, Bridgestone's

108675244.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

This will be my 2nd winter with 17" DAI Nebula and 205/50/17 Michelin X-Ice.

Attachments

• IMG_1031.JPG
    IMG_1031.JPG
    624.3 KB · Views: 254
utf-8BSU1HMDAwNTEuanBn.jpg

bad cell pic, but you get the idea. Tires are 205/60R Goodyear Eagle Ultra Grip GW3's, steelies were black. Bought em used for 450$ and got a set of allseason floormats for it for another 40$ from another MN mbr who had wrecked his CB MS3 (I'm tellin you, the Cosmic curse is REAL.) and these only had one season on them. Was going to paint the steelies pink, but another MN mbr was asking for winter rim color opinions, and we all told him to paint them purple. He was a wuss and went with a relatively unoffensive orange, so I painted these steelies purple with about 10$ in rattle from HD, just to call him out. Even when it's dry and warm, these feel solid. This will be the first winter that the car will be driven... (wife's finally had enough of me taking the Mini all the time and doing shenanigans out in front of her employer) so I had to saddle up and drive it.

odd question, how well do these cars do in the snow, high power, fwd.. dosent seem like too controllable to me seems like it would spin and spin even without gettin into boost.. forgive the ignorance i live in texas...no snow ;) i had an 04 GTO and took a trip to Oklahoma and it snowed while i was there and it was a beast to handle, TC on and decent tires.. id even touch the brakes and ABS would instantly click in and start sliding.. braking felt like it went from 40 ft to 4 miles before id stop...

odd question, how well do these cars do in the snow, high power, fwd.. dosent seem like too controllable to me seems like it would spin and spin even without gettin into boost.. forgive the ignorance i live in texas...no snow ;) i had an 04 GTO and took a trip to Oklahoma and it snowed while i was there and it was a beast to handle, TC on and decent tires.. id even touch the brakes and ABS would instantly click in and start sliding.. braking felt like it went from 40 ft to 4 miles before id stop...

FWD even with the MS3 is perfectly fine. It helps that it's a 6spd. Manuals are so much more controllable in snow. The car isn't as stable as my previous much larger sedans, but that's mainly because it's lighter and has a shorter wheelbase. With a set of winter rubber, the car handles excellent. Stops well and is hard to rotate. Far cry from your GTO :)

Conti tires and Borbet wheels

Conti ExtremeWinterContact 205/50R17s on 17x7 Borbet LV5 Anthracite wheels. Since it's still generally above 45 degrees in Maryland, I'm running the OE tires and wheels, so I can't comment on how well these will work.

Patrick.

DSC_0008PSEsmall.jpg

This thing's crappy F/R weight distribution also actually helps in the white stuff... :lol:

With the DSC on and a good set of winter tires, this car performs quite admirably in the snow if you keep your foot out of it. ;) The LSD helps quite a bit too.

Yeah, it's not bad. It is, however, HORRIBLY UNSAFE on stock tires. I slid through a red light intersection with less than an 1/8" of snow on the road. With the Blizzacks I didn't get stuck once, nor did I have a repeat of that "incident"

winter package

Blizzak LM25 225/45/17 and ASA JH3 ( Tire Rack ) - left over from the last Subaru - just had the hub bore taken out a bit... and she's good to go.

Attachments

• winter package 11.08.jpg
    winter package 11.08.jpg
    874.4 KB · Views: 247
  • winter package left side 11.jpg
    winter package left side 11.jpg
    606.3 KB · Views: 182
Last edited:
I found a set of winter wheels/tires, however the tires are 235/45/17 and the wheels are Kosei K1 TS 17" with an offset of 35!! Yikes! Probably won't work without a fender roll I assume?? These wheels are money and could also serve as my track wheels. What do you guys think?

I found a set of winter wheels/tires, however the tires are 235/45/17 and the wheels are Kosei K1 TS 17" with an offset of 35!! Yikes! Probably won't work without a fender roll I assume?? These wheels are money and could also serve as my track wheels. What do you guys think?

Offset isn't horribly low... you shouldn't rub on stock suspension.

But... that tire is too wide for winter... it could work, but I would just pass.

Back