all season tire?

lcpt

:
2008 mazdaspeed3
Hi guys, Im new to the site. Last year was my first season with the 2008 MS3. Unfortunately I got caught in the snow with the stock tires and it wasn't pretty. I was wondering if anybody used the Goodyear Eagle GT's (which has a good rating on tirerack at a good price) and has any fedback or if anyone has any info on a good all season tire. Thanks

goodyear

Thanks, I looked at those too. The price was definitely right. In the tire comparisons Tirerack didn't have any info on them so i decided to go with the others. Please keep me posted and let me know how they turn out. Hopefully they will be fine and you will be on your way skiing with the only fishtailing on the slopes! I will keep you posted as well when the snow comes.

The Goodyear F1's are ok, I just bought them myself the other day.. but I think I would do the Eagle GT all seasons next time around...the F1's aren't quite aggresive enough for this car.

I know it probably isn't what you want to hear, but I wouldn't get all-seasons.

Tires are so important to how the car performs that I think it is too much of a compromise. Why spend the extra $ on the speed3 over the regular 3 if you are just going to neuter it with all season tires?

The stock tires are fantastic summer tires, get a nice set of winters (I have Dunlop Wintersport M3s) and you won't ever get stuck again. With a good set of winter tires and this cars limited slip diff, it turns into a tank in the winter. Even if you have to go with steelies for your winter setup, its well worth it.

Save up and pull the trigger, you'll be happy you did.

all season

Thats a great point. Unfortunately i already ordered the eagle GT's. I will let everyone know how the MS3 handles with them. If it doesn't handle well I will end up getting another set of rims and keeping them as my winter tires (if they are good in the snow) and putting a performance summer tire on after the season.

When you have to drive carefully through a winding road in the summer, you realize that summer tires would have been much more fun.

When hydroplaning in heavy rain you realize that summer tires would be safer.

When losing control over your or your car or are stuck somewhere in the winter you realize that winter tires would be better.

Sorry to break it to you so directly, but... There is absolutely no such thing as a good all season tire! Seperate winter- & summer tires are well worth the investement.

Although I appreciate your input that is simply not true.My previous cars were an infiniti G35x (AWD), Acura TL 3.2 (FWD) and I currently have a lexus RX. I have never had anything but all season tires in the NY area. I have never had a problem in the rain or snow with any of them and I bring all of my cars skiing in the mountains. MS3Buckeye has a good point that it might not handle like the sportscar I bought it for and all season tires are not good for the track however there are plenty of good all season tires that work perfectly fine for rain and snow. I will let you know how much of a difference I feel in handling when I switch from the summer performance tires to the all season tire.

In fact I compared the Eagle GT's to the Bridgestone Potenza RE050A (Max Performance Summer OEM tire) and the all season Eagle GT's are better then the stock tire for hydroplaning

In fact I compared the Eagle GT's to the Bridgestone Potenza RE050A (Max Performance Summer OEM tire) and the all season Eagle GT's are better then the stock tire for hydroplaning

I have absolutely no problem beliving that. The RE050A is a runflat tire, and that is probably the best thing about those. I can agree that the Eagle GT is a good compromise and it probably works more than well enough in NJ, but around here it's considered a summer tire.

understood after looking at where your located. WOW youre quite a distance away. Pretty cool!!!

Here's what I wrote in May:

I picked the Eagle GTs over the ASXs on TireRacks' test advise- the GTs had superior wet weather performance. And the GTs have the bonus of being the same actual size as the stock tires. Most 215/45s are smaller diameter, and 225/40s are much smaller diameter. The car is already undergeared and I didn't want to make it worse.

I am reasonably happy with them. They stick about as well as the stock tires and they are better in the wet. They ride a little quieter on my rough roads. We get up to a couple inches of snow here most years but last winter I only drove in the snow once so I didn't get to really test out the light snow performance. Can't be worse than the stock tires though! The GTs are lasting a lot longer. My stockers were noticeably worn after 8k miles. I have 10k on the GTs and they don't appear to have worn much. (but I haven't measured)

The one place where the GTs fall behind the stock tires is in feel. They feel a bit dead on initial turn in. The stock tires are so responsive to small steering movements that the car feels almost too twitchy. The GTs dull that off-center response quite a bit.

All said, I will probably buy another set of GTs when these wear out.

I have about 15k miles on them now, and they still have quite a bit of life left. Haven't tested snow performance. I'd still buy another set.

Has anybody run the Pirelli PZero Nero All Seasons?

I have them on my MS3 as well as on my wife's X3. They wear well and work great in most any winter weather. That said, If I keep the MS3 I'll definitely buy a dedicated set of summer/track wheels and tires.

Thanks Compact.

I'd like to go with dedicated snow and summers to... we'll see.

I'm running the Eagle GTs and have been nothing but impressed. The steering response is a bit slower compared to the RE050s, but the lateral grip seems just as good if not better.

In many climates, there is just enough snow to make it dangerous on summer tires but not enough to warrant dedicated winter tires. You want to talk about reducing the potential of the car...that's exactly what running "dedicated winter tires" for 3-4 months out of a year when you get any snowfall only 1 or 2 days does. Maybe in the future I'll get dedicated summer tires on aftermarket wheels, but the stockers will continue to mount all-seasons.

Continental ExtremeContacts. Awesome performance year round. I have about 20k on my set, drove all last winter with them (one of the worst winters in decades), a rainy spring, and just came back from the Tail of the Dragon!(drinks)

I've been riding the Eagle GT's for about 9 months now. The day I bought these tires a snowstorm came through Chicago that I would have normally been stuck in w/ the stock tires. The GT's have amazing grip in the snow off the line but very responsive under braking too. In the rain they are very good too, I haven't had any problems with traction at all. Of course they do great on dry pavement as well. Thing I like a lot about them is they give a little bit more protection to the rim over the stock tires against inadvertent curb rash.

Has anybody run the Pirelli PZero Nero All Seasons?

I have had them for two seasons and love them. I have 9,000 miles on mine and they still have 8/32nds left about 2 less than new. I am in Columbus where we have moderate winters with some snow, but mostly slush and cold rain. When the snow does fly, they work pretty good. I would not use these if you have 5 months of snow and temps predominantly below 15 deg F. They take forever to warm up and are hard. I would definitely go with a dedicated winter tire then.

Back