Water in passenger footwell - where's the leak?

I think it would be better using a gun from the carwash to get a bit more pressure. I had my windshield replaced a few years ago and only with heavy heavy rain it would leak. Mostly on the drivers side (like 1/4" standing water) and barely on the passenger side occassionally. The problem was the windshield seal at the bottom corners at each side were exposed just a tiny bit. Black silicone sealed it up.

i think i know where the water is coming from. gonna do some tests to make sure. stay tuned

ok so the water is coming from under the left side of the passenger footboard, where the ecu is. it takes it a while to get there too, as it starts to biuld up after its been raining for a while.

any ideas? seal in the firewall?

hopefully will figure it out 100% tommorow.

take a look at the pic

today i noticed that the little cap thing is missing and theres a hole there, could be the culprit?? i have no idea how long its bgeen missing tho

Attachments

• hanuka.jpg
    hanuka.jpg
    642.9 KB · Views: 1,888
Last edited:
its leaking from behind the dash somewhere, so its gonna have to come out. i would assume the same thing for you jvskater

thats what im thinking too. was gonna take that weatherstripping off or w.e. that is to c if there was a clog or sumthing but i just put my car away for the winter so i gotta wait til spring

I wish I had seen this sooner! I had the same problem with water running all the way back to the rear seat and it destroyed the carpet padding.

Turned out it was a slightly split seam where two body panels came together. The water coming out of the drain holes below the windshield would run down the seam and in through the hole in the seam. You have to thank the wonderful freeze/thaw Wisconsin weather for pushing it open.

I found this out by pulling the passenger splash guard off and shining a light on the inside of the wheel well and looked from the inside of the car to see where it was coming through. I also made a couple of trips to the car wash with the carpet up and seat out to see where the main source was flowing from.

I used a body panel seam sealer and pasted it all over the inside of the seam. The problem was getting it high enough on the seam because it went right behind the blower motor. Since then (about a year ago) I have had no water problems at all. Hope that helps, good luck!

hopefully will figure it out 100% tommorow.

take a look at the pic

today i noticed that the little cap thing is missing and theres a hole there, could be the culprit?? i have no idea how long its bgeen missing tho

Also, that is just a beauty cover over the bolt. Doesn't seal anything.

I wish I had seen this sooner! I had the same problem with water running all the way back to the rear seat and it destroyed the carpet padding.

Turned out it was a slightly split seam where two body panels came together. The water coming out of the drain holes below the windshield would run down the seam and in through the hole in the seam. You have to thank the wonderful freeze/thaw Wisconsin weather for pushing it open.

I found this out by pulling the passenger splash guard off and shining a light on the inside of the wheel well and looked from the inside of the car to see where it was coming through. I also made a couple of trips to the car wash with the carpet up and seat out to see where the main source was flowing from.

I used a body panel seam sealer and pasted it all over the inside of the seam. The problem was getting it high enough on the seam because it went right behind the blower motor. Since then (about a year ago) I have had no water problems at all. Hope that helps, good luck!

Thank god!!(bow)

im gonna get under there with a flashlight too. hopefully its the same problem.

I have the same issue and im worried about the ecu right there gettin damaged. just looked today and the cover on the ecu is rusted and there is 1/4 inch of water on the floor boards. going to have to remove the carpet to fully dry it... Ill have to check that seem out at work tomorrow on the lift at work. Thanks!

I had the same problem.
I found it was the seam seal in the rh corner of the passenger footwell.
in the corner beside the ecu.
I just put some more seam sealer over top of the seam and i am all dry again.
It was a lot of fresh water leaking in.
About a cup or two evertime it rained.
Doug

once it gets warmer i will. i've only driven the car once in the last month, so i', not really motivated to work on it

Back