F/S 1996 Mazda Protege in New Jersey 120k+ miles; needs exhaust work!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rw2005

I have a 1996 Mazda Protege DX with a 1.5L engine and auto tranny. Dark blue exterior, tan interior. Apprx. 120k miles. Car is complete except for the missing hubcaps. Has relatively new tires! Fairly new driver's side sun visor (OEM from Mazda!) No major dents but has its fair share of wear and tear.

It needs exhaust work. Local shop said the whole exhaust - except Cat Converters - was rusted out. They estimated $500 for the repair. I priced parts from Rock Auto (online). Parts added up to $275. The car also makes an intermittent whining noise when highway driven. Maybe the tranny??? Not sure, because it appears to operate as normal.

Prior to the exhaust giving out and making the car sound like a truck, it was used as a local, around town grocery getter and occasional commuter (30 miles/day). Good on gas (25mpgs for mixed driving). Good traction in the snow too!

This is a third car that doesn't get a lot of use and I don't want to spend the money to repair it. I would like to get it off my insurance policy and save a few bucks off the premium too.

With the exhaust fixed, the car would be a decent "station" car.

KBB trade-in value is a "generous" $950. I'd consider offers over what a local junkyard would pay!!!

if you're interested, post a reply or send a PM.

picture.php

Comments: 1. That circular "mark" on the left side of the driver's door does not exist.. its just a photo flash "artifact". 2. The oil marks on the floor near the car are not from the Mazda. My Chevy Monte Carlo has a rear main seal leak.

Last edited:
Im intrested sort of. can you email me more pics. totanas at gmail dot com.
I know the exhaust needs work but is there anything else stopping it from making a trip to connecticut?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back