MS6 Sport owners, upgrade your side mirrors! (details inside)

tunersteve

Contributor
:
2011 Mustang GT
I've been looking around since in MI, the mornings are cold and the mirrors are usually fogged/frosted over. Several members, such as VRMS6, have bought the entire mirror and replaced that (I believe there's a how-to in the section). I've been looking at this a little more with the weather cooling off, and I think I have two options:

Option 1 - buy OEM 6 or MS6 mirror glass (need to verify that they're the same, I think so) with defogger element and install. Cost is around $60 for both sides (if the reg. 6 glass works) or $90 if it's MS6-specific.

Option 2 (preferred by me) - buy EDM aspheric (convex) drivers side heated mirror and heated passenger mirror. Eliminate the blind spot on the drivers side and gain heated mirrors on both sides (USDM pass. side should work fine). Cost TBD.

I'm researching the second option right now, but I will keept this thread updated with part #s as I get them.

For those of you not familiar with the aspheric mirror:

aspheric.jpg

i have also been thinking about this since up here in canadaland we have already had mornings with frost on the windows. keep us posted steve

Does this only apply to the sport? I didn't think the GT had heated mirrors.....

Yes, the GT came with heated mirrors. They turn on with the rear defroster.

I'm still waiting for a response, the glass install might be tougher than I initially thought. I will keep everyone posted.

Really looking to hearing more from you on this one. This is a "silly" little feature that I really miss from my RAM1500.

Yes, the GT came with heated mirrors. They turn on with the rear defroster.

I'm still waiting for a response, the glass install might be tougher than I initially thought. I will keep everyone posted.

Huh, well that's news to me. I haven't had to use the defroster yet since I purchased it in May. Thanks for the info!

I'm looking forward to this as well. I'm really missing the heated mirrors from my BMW...

Well, if you really want them right now, you can order the heated mirrors from a dealer (or OMP) and get them shipped to your door for around $200. I almost did this last year and changed my mind.

It sounds like you'll have to tear the mirror apart to get the wiring for the defoggers ran into the plug. I found a Mz3 thread that broke this down, and I'm pretty sure our mirrors are similar (not match, but close enough to use that how-to for reference). As for wiring, I don't know without tearing it apart and looking at it.

If any UK 6/MS6 owners are reading this, if you know of a dealer that can get part numbers for the aspheric drivers side heated mirror, you would be a big help!

Here are the part numbers for the ENTIRE ASSEMBLY:

GP9B-69-120B87
GP9B-69-180C87

These are coded for Velocity Red. I don't have the other info for other colors, but I'm trying to get it as we speak.

OMP is charging $109 each, but your local dealer will run about $140.

Last edited:
so the gt's have heated mirrors? do u kno if its different for the CDN models? kinda like how our gts dont come with navi.

so the gt's have heated mirrors? do u kno if its different for the CDN models? kinda like how our gts dont come with navi.

Yes, the GT came with heated mirrors, heated seats, and leather. The wiring is already there in the door (cost savings) so all you need is the wires to plug into the harness and it works.

For you, I don't see why it would be any different. If you have a Sport, most likely, you don't have heated mirrors. If you want to check, turn your rear defroster on and see if your side mirrors get warm.

And another reply from Jason regarding the glass:

To do just the glass they will have to run some wires from the mirror glass to the door harness to get them to work.

Rt mirror - BP8M691G1 MSRP-55.10 Website-42.98
Lt mirror - GP9B691G7 MSRP-28.96 Website-22.58

To order these just tell them to do a search by part# from the homepage.

Back