FSDE to FSZE???

SAMOTORSPORTS

:
02 Protege 5
if i replace my FSDE with a FSZE is there any thing i have to change in my 02 protege5?
My fs shot a rod and i need a new motor so- suggestions welcome.

OK,

I guess this looks like a good enough place to start. So looking at this I will need

Pistons
Cams
VTCS removal
ecu

I have the cams in now and the VTCS has been out for just as long. I have a MP3 ecu now, but wondering what else. I saw a fs-ze wiring harness. I cant believe its that much different than what we have now on the de engines. However I would like to go this route. Has anyone done this? Is this all I have to do? the pistons and ecu??

OK got the pistons orderd along with the harness. Also know a guy going to japan next week. How or what do I have him go to to pick this thing up? Is there junk yards there? or do I have to pay full yen on this thing???

Not looking for 200HP just a few more to bet out this damn BMW

You want an FS-ZE or your building up an FS-ZE?

If you want to run FS-ZE ECU and FS-ZE insides in a FS-DE then, exhaust header (MSF if you can find one but more likely to find one in NZ), Intake Manifold, Crank Trigger, Wiring Harness, Spair USDM Wiring harness.

Also might be worth picking up another intake cam to repin as MSF exhaust cam.

Kinda doing the same, installing ZE's different internals into the DE. Got the mani, cams, mp3 ecu, pistons on the way... is it a straight replace parts affair? I was gonna rebuild the engine anyway so I got the " go slightly faster" parts. Am I going the right direction here?

Kinda doing the same, installing ZE's different internals into the DE. Got the mani, cams, mp3 ecu, pistons on the way... is it a straight replace parts affair? I was gonna rebuild the engine anyway so I got the " go slightly faster" parts. Am I going the right direction here?

if the budget can stretch it, you've got the motor open and you wouldn't be far away from "go considerably faster" parts. Longer rods and high comp pistons, and a cheap after market ecu..then the other bits. But if you've already got the internals...then go for it.

It should be a straight part replace affair. I really don't buy the argument at all that the ZE intake manifold is worth it - and I'll stand by that until I see dyno results and flow bench results to prove it is a better buy then the 626 manifold.

I don't think I want either of them. The "black box" can't do much on the ze intake. And with the 626 mani I would loose too much power down low. For my purposes that would slow me down (loose a position in a corner (where most of my passing takes place of cars stronger than mine)). I come around a few corners in a few tracks down low in the RPM's. And I already struggle out of them. And no I can't just down shift, if I did I would upset the balance of the car going trough the corner and would loose traction and slam into a tire wall/tree/concrete wall.

I have already knife edged, port matched, and did vtcs removal. Unless someone else can think of something better. It seems the best way for my application.

Last edited:
I don't think I want either of them. The "black box" can't do much on the ze intake. And with the 626 mani I would loose too much power down low. For my purposes that would slow me down (loose a position in a corner (where most of my passing takes place of cars stronger than mine)). I come around a few corners in a few tracks down low in the RPM's. And I already struggle out of them. And no I can't just down shift, if I did I would upset the balance of the car going trough the corner and would loose traction and slam into a tire wall/tree/concrete wall.

I have already knife edged, port matched, and did vtcs removal. Unless someone else can think of something better. It seems the best way for my application.

The nature of the VICS based manifolds are that they are lossy - flow bench numbers on the DE intake manifold show this. I cannot for the life of me think 'how' the ZE manifold gets around this. Better than the DE? sure. But it still looks s*** to me. Of course I'm willing to be proven wrong with some back to back dynos etc.

Any options open to you to go silly and do IRTBs or a custom tuned intake manifold? There are substantial gains to be made on this side of the motor...

I got the jdm, looked at it with disdain, such small ports....so I slightly enlarged them. I'm in the process of installing both MSF(repinned exhaust) cams and that mani. I don't know if I'll be able to dyno a before and after but at least a butt dyno reading they will get. This is until my pistons arrive and I do they full overhaul. They are the 10.4:1 pistons, I'll mill the head a little bit to get it as close to 10.7 as possible ... might as well go 11.0:1. I have cam gears so at least the timing wont suffer much

Last edited:
The nature of the VICS based manifolds are that they are lossy - flow bench numbers on the DE intake manifold show this. I cannot for the life of me think 'how' the ZE manifold gets around this. Better than the DE? sure. But it still looks s*** to me. Of course I'm willing to be proven wrong with some back to back dynos etc.

You think that the 626 mani will have greater power over the vics mani all over? Most of the feed back I hear (or read) is from people just saying they "feel" like they have lost power down "low", and then to say the car is more peppy higher up the rpm range. I too am one to really wish there was some actual data from dyno pulls with a before and after of purely just a intake swap.

Any options open to you to go silly and do IRTBs or a custom tuned intake manifold? There are substantial gains to be made on this side of the motor...

Yes that is unrestricted as most is in my class. However I have chosen to stick with the mp3 ecu. So as long as that is still beneficial with that ecu I would not mind exploring that avenue.

Should start working on the engine today so I will make my own build thread now. Thanks for the help too!

Tuned Manifold, should be ok. In that it will work, you might wanna flash the ECU to get the full benefits :)

IRTBs won't work with the MP3 ECU. Another thing that would help is getting a tuned exhaust manifold as opposed to that OBX thing you have. What cam gears do you have? If there SR or kasman gears don't bother as they wont work.

Because the pickup moves with the cam gear which will cause all sorts of errors, then there's also the matter of the bolts interfering with the pickups due to the length.

There's more then a few threads on it :)

20121207_170703.jpg
[/IMG]

SRs? The bolt is short and it doesnt protude out

Even if the bolt is shorter then the Kasman gears the design is still flawed as the Kasman was based off the SR gears?

You'd have to go back to like 03 man to get the story regarding the Kasman gears :)

Latest posts

Back