Mazdaspeed 3 vs 2007/2009 HR 350Z

:
Mazdaspeed 6
OK So my buddy has to make a decision on which car to get. He's debating on getting the 07-09 Mazdaspeed 3 or the 07-09 Nissan HR 350Z. I know both car's are in different classes. But for some reason, this is the only choice on his mind to get. IDK why but that's his choice.

Now he has test driven both already. He likes the power of the Z down low and the instant punch from the VQ35HR motor. My Question is, which car is quicker. I told him the MS3 would be quicker from a 50-150mph roll. What are your thoughts

Punch down low of the Z? Whut? I drove a 370Z, which I assume to be better than the 350 and, that car felt like it was running in contact cement off the bottom. The punch down low/mid of the speed3 is really addicting. My car does 60-105 in a little over 8 seconds. I think that's pretty healthy.

What's an HR? I don't know Nissan stuff.

HR is the 306 hp version of the 350z. id go 350z, rwd is more fun. the aftermarket is huge for the Z and the MS3's is kinda small.

there is no simple answer to this because the cars are so radically different. if it were me, and i needed cargo space (which i do), then the speed3 is the obvious choice. if i wanted a compromise free performance car with a large aftermarket, it would be the nissan. fanboyism aside, the VQ is a great platform to modify and a very reliable engine to boot.

of course, i'd probably spend the extra money on a G35 anyways.

Go for 350z. Performance will be same in straight line but handling will be much better in z due to rwd balanced chasis.I had a nonHR 350z and actually both ms3 and z have more in common than you'd think.They both have similar driving experience and feedback. If he doesn't need the practicality of ms3 go for the z.

Exactly ^ if he doesnt need the space go for the z, that was the only reason i got rid of mine...that and it was awful to commute in the snow with.

Punch down low of the Z? Whut? I drove a 370Z, which I assume to be better than the 350 and, that car felt like it was running in contact cement off the bottom. The punch down low/mid of the speed3 is really addicting. My car does 60-105 in a little over 8 seconds. I think that's pretty healthy.

What's an HR? I don't know Nissan stuff.

HR 350Z is a beefed up version of the 03-05 VQ35DE motors. Power and redline are raised quite a bit more.

HR is the 306 hp version of the 350z. id go 350z, rwd is more fun. the aftermarket is huge for the Z and the MS3's is kinda small.

He's not to worried about aftermarket. He doesn't plan on doing anything big. Maybe a few bolt-ons here and there.

there is no simple answer to this because the cars are so radically different. if it were me, and i needed cargo space (which i do), then the speed3 is the obvious choice. if i wanted a compromise free performance car with a large aftermarket, it would be the nissan. fanboyism aside, the VQ is a great platform to modify and a very reliable engine to boot.

of course, i'd probably spend the extra money on a G35 anyways.

I know, "but for some reason" this is how he clearly narrowed down his choice to.

Reasonably because he's married and is a family man. Already owns a Camry as a family car. This is something for him to enjoy/toy with.

Go for 350z. Performance will be same in straight line but handling will be much better in z due to rwd balanced chasis.I had a nonHR 350z and actually both ms3 and z have more in common than you'd think.They both have similar driving experience and feedback. If he doesn't need the practicality of ms3 go for the z.

He basically want's both car's, but has to make a choice. I told him to get the MS3 due to it being a family hatch with boosted power and something to enjoy.

Exactly ^ if he doesnt need the space go for the z, that was the only reason i got rid of mine...that and it was awful to commute in the snow with.

Yeah, I'm trying to convince him to get a Mazdaspeed6 but he's not digging the car at all. lol

He want's something mainly that looks good and something that has decent power on the freeway. Since he doesn't have time, He's not all into that drifting/autocross, 1/4mile stuff. But he does like to play around on the freeway since he basically travels a lot and drives everywhere.

Idk...I was just messing with him, telling him that i would smoke whatever car he get's. lol

Now were both curious.

If i were him, I'd get something like a 240 or Integra. lol

if hes got a camry for bad weather, groceries and lugging crap around.....then start z shopping.

He want's something mainly that looks good and something that has decent power on the freeway.

im not sure how the 350 is freeway-wise, but at least at that point fwd or rwd power doesn't matter anymore, at least not like it does from a standstill. obviously a rwd or awd is superior to a fwd during a 0-60

the freeway is actually the only time i really use this car's power. and the ms3 has plenty of power to use during on ramp merges, passing, and still has good gas mileage during speedy cruising. another good thing is that going about 70mph or so in 6th gear, a lot of times i don't even downshift if i want to change lanes to go around a slower moving vehicle (stupid fast lane slugs!)

as for the "looks good" part, have him get a g35 coupe instead of the 350z. hawtness and more luxury to boot

Back