Heated mirrors

KBrian

Contributor
:
02' Protege5
I'm so excited. I found a new feature on my 5. Travelled for more than an hour tonight on the freeway and when I got back to the city, the mirrors were fogged, for the first time. I thought I would hit the rear defrost switch (also for the first time) to see if the mirrors cleared. WOW! they did, and im mere seconds.

This 5 just keeps getting better and better.

I'm so excited. I found a new feature on my 5. Travelled for more than an hour tonight on the freeway and when I got back to the city, the mirrors were fogged, for the first time. I thought I would hit the rear defrost switch (also for the first time) to see if the mirrors cleared. WOW! they did, and im mere seconds.

This 5 just keeps getting better and better.

Yup, comes on most cars and vans that way, I just wish they'd invent something OTHER than those damm lines for rear defrost.

Lucky bastard!

Omaha eh? Omaha NE is my home town, GO BIG RED! (drinks)

Peace!(rei)

Hey I ran over my igloo once because the mirrors were fogged up and I stuffed a caribou in the back so I couldn't see out the back window. This is a must have feature in Canada.

I feel like a LUCKY BASTARD just because I have a great car that I got for a great price, and the few minor problems I have had were fixed under warranty with no hassle.

Damn right!

I gyou don't have the heated mirrors, you can retrofit them. There's a write up in the How-to section. I did it a little over a year ago. Still works.

I gyou don't have the heated mirrors, you can retrofit them. There's a write up in the How-to section. I did it a little over a year ago. Still works.

Correct. I did an extensive write up on retrofitting heated mirrors for the 3, and I installed them on my father's Mz5 as well. You need to swap the non-heated glass with the heated glass, and run wiring through the mirror housing (along with the stock wiring) from the glass to where the plug on the car is.

On the 3 you need to insert two new pins in the mirror side of the plug to mate with the existing receivers on the car side. On the Mz5 the pins are on the car side and the receivers are missing on the mirror side. You can either get a plug from a junker and remove the pin receivers to insert into the mirror side of the plug, or you can do what I did and just run the wires from the heated glass out next to the plug and tap the wires on the car's harness manually.

The glass for the Mz5 is only about $25/side (vs. $40/side on the 3), and you need about 2-3 feet of double wire with a few female mini-spade connectors. You should be able to easily do this for $50-65 depending on if you have the wire already.

The glass for the Mz5 is only about $25/side (vs. $40/side on the 3), and you need about 2-3 feet of double wire with a few female mini-spade connectors. You should be able to easily do this for $50-65 depending on if you have the wire already.

Cool.

Hey I ran over my igloo once because the mirrors were fogged up and I stuffed a caribou in the back so I couldn't see out the back window. This is a must have feature in Canada.

When I travel with a caribou in the back (3rd row seats) I ask him/her to monitor what's going on out the rear window :)

Back