DDM 6000K bulb replacement

tunersteve

Contributor
:
2011 Mustang GT
Finally pulled the trigger and ordered some new HIDs for the car. I hate having lights that don't quite match, unless it's 3000k or yellow fogs. Ordered a relplacement set of D2S bulbs in 6000k as well as the DDM Raptor 35w kit in 6000k H11 bulbs for the fog lights.

I didn't decide to do any sort of relay harness or anything crazy like that. If I was adding HIDs to the low beams, I would consider it, but since the fogs are more of an auxilliary bulb, I don't think they'll need the relay harness.

Here are the links I used:

D2S bulbs:
http://www.ddmtuning.com/index.php?p=product&id=264&parent=85

Raptor 35w HID kit with ballasts:
http://www.ddmtuning.com/index.php?p=product&id=102&parent=85

I decided on 6000K because I did want a little more blue tint in the light, but didn't want to sacrifice much in terms of light output. My friend has 8000K's on his Fusion and they're bright as hell (also has a 55w kit for low beams).

With our low beams being projectors, the D2S swap is easy. No need for any additional parts, aside from the bulbs.

I'll post pics as a baseline, and an after as well. I wanted to write up a thread to show in more detail what I did with the system.

Oh, and the whole setup shipped to my door was $80. Not too shabby. Not a lifetime warranty, but I'm honestly not all that worried about them.

Last edited:
Same here i Got the DDM 55 watts 6000K i'm happy with it but i regret not getting the 8000K But other then that i love them! congrats on your order.

Same here i Got the DDM 55 watts 6000K i'm happy with it but i regret not getting the 8000K But other then that i love them! congrats on your order.

Got any pics of your setup? Particularly against a wall or something flat? I just want to see what your light output looks like.

Steve i dont know if you currently have stock bulbs in there right now but let me tell you, if you arent planning on removing the front bumper(which i didnt do) the ****** bulb replacements is gunna be a ****** PITA! But other then that, congrats on the order.. you beat me to it. I'm waiting on picking up some rotors right now and after i do so im gunna order the kit. Hopefully ill have it by the end of the month

Keep us updated

I could probably find this with a search, but the search function has been pi**ing me off lately...

...Okay, and I'm lazy...

What's the temp of the stock HIDs?

-Jay

Steve i dont know if you currently have stock bulbs in there right now but let me tell you, if you arent planning on removing the front bumper(which i didnt do) the ****** bulb replacements is gunna be a ****** PITA! But other then that, congrats on the order.. you beat me to it. I'm waiting on picking up some rotors right now and after i do so im gunna order the kit. Hopefully ill have it by the end of the month

Keep us updated

I plan on pulling the bumper. I did it once to replace the lower grille, and it honestly takes about 10 minutes to get off. That's more than enough to make the job easier.

I could probably find this with a search, but the search function has been pi**ing me off lately...

...Okay, and I'm lazy...

What's the temp of the stock HIDs?

-Jay

4300K I believe. That's pretty much the norm for most OEMs, between 4000-5000K.

Also, I plan on updating with install info, and before & after pics. I'm also going to do the fog light mod on my car while I have the lighting to work on, that way I can run the HID fogs independently of the low beams.

Guys, if you're considering going and upgrading your HIDs, please read up! Just doing some additional research and finding lots of good info. There's a reason our cars came with 4100K color HIDs. There is also a lot of variance from one brand to the next. Keep in mind that if you want them for looks, it's going to cost you in terms of visibility down the road (literally).

For reference, a stock halogen bulb (55w) is approx. 1100 lm (lumens). Our stock projectors (Philips bulbs IIRC) D2S style put out about 3200lm.

not.. too much time.

But when i saw the how to, it looked long and im not good with wires lol

Well that's a good reason not to do it. I did the MS3 fog light mod and it took about 25 minutes. Worst part was crawling inside below the glovebox. Good thing is that our cars you can do standing up.

What # is the high beam? Someone told me the foglights on my car were h3 and it turns out they were h11.

Dude, this isn't the place for that. Check the bulb listing in the Electronics section or go to www.sylvania.com and find your bulb.

Can't wait to see pics and hear your reviews Steve.
I swapped out my low beams for some 6000k awhile back and didn't like my results...keep in mind they were cheaper ebay bulbs.
The color was real nice but the light output was undesireable in my attempt and I swapped them back.
I'm interested to see how the DDMs are.
Taking off the bumper and pulling the headlights in the easiest way to swap them IMO, just a suggestion though as there is some adjustability "play" so to speak with the headlights...mark the bolts somehow or you'll end up pulling the bumper again and trying to adjust out the gaps between the headlights and the bumper.

Can't wait to see pics and hear your reviews Steve.
I swapped out my low beams for some 6000k awhile back and didn't like my results...keep in mind they were cheaper ebay bulbs.
The color was real nice but the light output was undesireable in my attempt and I swapped them back.
I'm interested to see how the DDMs are.
Taking off the bumper and pulling the headlights in the easiest way to swap them IMO, just a suggestion though as there is some adjustability "play" so to speak with the headlights...mark the bolts somehow or you'll end up pulling the bumper again and trying to adjust out the gaps between the headlights and the bumper.

Good to know about the headlamps. I'll make sure to mark them so I don't have to mess with it too much.

Will you have these done in time for the next fun run? I would really like to see these.

im pretty sure they will be done by next weekend if Steve isnt lazy

Here's the deal, I'm gonna take the car in Mon. to get the turbo replaced. I figure the lights will be here sometime next week, and hopefully get them in next weekend. I'll keep you posted from this thread on when they go in.

Got my shipping confirmation and the bulbs will be in next Wed. Looks like the weekend will be a for sure as long as the car is back.

Here's the deal, I'm gonna take the car in Mon. to get the turbo replaced. I figure the lights will be here sometime next week, and hopefully get them in next weekend. I'll keep you posted from this thread on when they go in.

smoking turbo?

Back