Anyone fine tune there shifter and tune out a second gear grind?

stevessvt

:
9 Metro MS3
So for like the 5th time yesterday since buying my car a little over a year ago I did a hard 1-2 shift and ground second gear. And as usual it freaked me out, so I finally got off my ass and did the fine tuning of the cable linkage as shown here: http://**************************/forum/f33/video-fine-tuning-your-shifter-18796/

Has doing this,...and only this......done anything for the 1-2 grind?

And how worried should I be about ******* up my tranny because of the grind?

shift slower, mazda transmissions arent too great but i doubt u will **** anything up from grinding it a little
if u do it alot u may chip a tooth which could be a problem, do u already have the rear engine mount?

No,....I sure dont yet.

Tranny seems to shift fine today,...maybe even a bit better now that I adjusted the shifter.

I have a horrible history of modding s*** for the better and having it go horribly wrong later, so I am hugely gun shy of modding too much anymore.

well from what ive read, the rear engine mount is pretty easy to do yourself and i havent seen any negative reports yet
MOST say it fixed there shifting problem, some still have problems though

maybe u could get some shifter bushings as well

i used to have this problem with 3rd in my P5, except i couldnt shift into it at all, everytime i tried it would grind, replaced the fluid, still grinding until someone else drove it and he shifted straight into 3rd no problem
been fine ever since, so maybe its a driver problem, simplest thing to do is just slow down when u shift

I virtually never rip hard shifts in this thing,....in this case the road got a little rough right when I shifted throwing my timing off and yanking back harder than usual.

But if everything is working right (not popping out of gear, not grinding on regular shifts) I should be good, correct?

Just post it to this thread? I suspect lots of people will want to check it out. Also, a set of shifter bushings can't hurt. It isn't a night and day difference, but improves shifter feel some, and is worth it for $30.

I was able to get rid of the slight catch I got in 2nd by using that video a while back, but it seems its just moved that catch from 2nd to 3rd instead.. maybe I will pay around with it again to see if I can smooth it out..

The MS3 trans are a bit retarded. I now shift like a Police Car is behind me. I have not missed a gear since!! MMMMMM, Is there a Moral to this story??

I called my Mazda dealer and they said if I change the tranny oil before the 60,000 mile recomandation it would void my warrenty.

No joke.

lol wow mazda and there retarded warranty rules

i dont think its the fluid though, if u put either that motocraft stuff 08cosmic3 said or any other fluid it will help but thats just a temp fix
if u do decide to change the fluid, DO NOT buy royal purple, there stuff sucks, engine oil is great but the trans fluid is worse the OEM

Back