VICS solenoid broken, what does that mean?

I should mention that I've ordered the EGR valve...still processing the order.

I also pulled up FS05-18-741 and see now that it's called something else (still learning here!)...and the site produced two hits:

Solenoid valve 2.0 LITER, type 2
and
SOLENOID VALVE Protege; 1.8L, 2.0L; No. 1

In the Type 2 listing, they have a "View Part Diagram -- Item #4"

http://mazdapartscenter.com/parts/2...leid=1387447&diagram=5416820&diagramCallOut=4

I must say, I'm getting confused. LOL

Which one is THE VICS culprit in question?

Also, is the VTCS on this pic, too? If so, what number?

Thanks again.

NM

I should mention that I've ordered the EGR valve...still processing the order.

I also pulled up FS05-18-741 and see now that it's called something else (still learning here!)...and the site produced two hits:

Solenoid valve 2.0 LITER, type 2
and
SOLENOID VALVE Protege; 1.8L, 2.0L; No. 1

In the Type 2 listing, they have a "View Part Diagram -- Item #4"

http://mazdapartscenter.com/parts/2...leid=1387447&diagram=5416820&diagramCallOut=4

I must say, I'm getting confused. LOL

Which one is THE VICS culprit in question?

Also, is the VTCS on this pic, too? If so, what number?

Thanks again.

NM

Sorry, I should have been more clear. The P0660 code indicates that the solenoid valve that controls the actuation of the VICS butterfly valves is dead. The part you need to replace is a generic solenoid which is used in a few places around the car (for example, the VTCS system uses the same solenoid).

The solenoid is located right on top of the engine. If you'd like to test it, connect a multimeter (on the "Ohms" setting) across the two terminals and check if the reading it's roughly 24 Ohms. If it's an open circuit or close to 0 Ohms then it's dead. Mine was melted which made fit easy to figure out which one was broken.

Here's where the solenoid valve is located (ignore the cursor, I didn't notice it was in the screenshot :p):
pgw4E.png

#4 it is! "Solenoid valve 2.0 LITER, type 2"

Thank you so much. This is awesome info...super-easy picture to follow.
If the readings "fail", I'll replace the the VICS first...

If I must, I will order part # FS05-18-741--and rest easy that's it's the right part "VICS Solenoid Valve".

NM

Last edited:
Hello - My 2nd post on this forum (my 1st came up empty in the marketplace). I have a concern about a valve I ordered to replace a defective one. It came in box labeled part # FS05-18-741. K5T49090 FS052510 is stamped on the plastic body. I know the old one was bad thanks to CheeseHelmet and the service manual; no resistance between the contact points. It should be about 22-26 ohms. My concern is that the new part measures 40 ohms. Wonder if I got the right part, or if Mazda changed the resistance value. And most important, will it work? Thanks.

Hello - My 2nd post on this forum (my 1st came up empty in the marketplace). I have a concern about a valve I ordered to replace a defective one. It came in box labeled part # FS05-18-741. K5T49090 FS052510 is stamped on the plastic body. I know the old one was bad thanks to CheeseHelmet and the service manual; no resistance between the contact points. It should be about 22-26 ohms. My concern is that the new part measures 40 ohms. Wonder if I got the right part, or if Mazda changed the resistance value. And most important, will it work? Thanks.

Ignore what's stamped on the part, Mazda doesn't make those valves so what you're seeing is the OEM part number. IIRC Mitsubishi makes them, not that it's important :p

40 Ohms is fine, they might have used a more efficient solenoid or your meter isn't zeroed-out properly. Either way, it's not a big deal.

Once you have the new one plugged in, you can verify that it's working using these instructions:
nhqVd.png

That's some good information. I agree, the stamped info is probably just the OEM build code. And yes, the Mitsubishi logo is on it as well. My DMM is pretty accurate so that 40 ohms reading is probably what Mazda changed it to, to be as you say more efficient. To verify this theory,I measured the adjacent VTCS valve at 40 ohms as well. Coincidence or fact? Thanks for your help. You helped me with the flickering A/C too.

There's a bunch of used ones (FS05-18-741. K5T49090) w/ warranty on ebay for 17.00 and free ship. irensautoparts

I'm a little confused about the three different emission solenoids listed at this site:

You guys are referring to part #4 with the vacuum ports on either end of the solenoid. Both my VICS and VTCS look like part #5 in the diagram with both vacuum ports at the same end at a 90* angle from each other. That is listed as solenoid type #3

[ 5 ] EMISSION SYSTEM / EMISSION SYSTEM / EMISSION COMPONENTS / Solenoid valve
solenoid valve 2.0 LITER, type 3

MSRP Core ? Online Price
$116.18 $0.00 $92.94

I'm wondering whether that is the correct part and what part number it is.

This is from the parts listings,.. the part is numbered 18-741C,... I'm thinking "C" refers to type "#3"

VICSdiag_zps54919dc1.jpg

I recently had one of these go bad on my MSP. Parts Group in Alabama had some good prices on them, but I ended up hitting up the local pull-a-part. Found 3 on an old MPV and walked out for $10.

Take some gator clipped wires and a 9 volt to check to make sure the solenoids still give a solid "click" when hooked up and you're good.

Same solenoid is known to get mucked up on the MazdaSpeed Miatas and with a good electronics cleaner / lubricant you can usually get a slow or gummy solenoid back to good working order. Spray, click, click, spray, click, click is all it usually takes. Again, that is only if it is reacting slowly to electrical current.

I'm a little confused about the three different emission solenoids listed at this site:

You guys are referring to part #4 with the vacuum ports on either end of the solenoid. Both my VICS and VTCS look like part #5 in the diagram with both vacuum ports at the same end at a 90* angle from each other. That is listed as solenoid type #3

[ 5 ] EMISSION SYSTEM / EMISSION SYSTEM / EMISSION COMPONENTS / Solenoid valve
solenoid valve 2.0 LITER, type 3

MSRP Core ? Online Price
$116.18 $0.00 $92.94

I'm wondering whether that is the correct part and what part number it is.

I think that site is trying to rip people off, both of those solenoids are the same part...

Latest posts

Back