Remote start options for MS3

C

cymx5

I know little about the brands and applications out there. I'm curious about installing a remote start on my MS3 and a 2004 Ford Focus (auto) for the winter.

Are there specific names I should look for? Do the kits vary from auto to manual transmissions?

P.S. I don't leave my car in gear when I park, so please avoid commenting about people who have done it and smashed into another car because they started theirs up in gear. (boom04)

I have always used Compustar and have never had an issue. Currently I am using the Compustar Pro starter/alarm 2way unit. It has good range and will tell you if your car is running, if a door is open and whatnot.

A manual kit is different than an auto kit. The manual kit ties into your ebrake. A manual remote starter also requires you to set reservation mode. For my compustar, it involves putting the vehicle in neutral, setting the ebrake and then exiting the car. The car will stay running until I close the door. When I close the door, the car will lock and shut off. This is to ensure the car was left in neutral. If you don't set reservation mode, or access your car after reservation mode was set, you can not remote start your car.

It can be a pain in the butt if you are in and out of your car a lot without going anywhere, but you get used to it.

I have also talked to others who have used auto start and have had good results.

edit

In retrospect, one bad thing about my Compustar, is the 2way remote eats batteries fairly quickly (change them twice a year and requires 2 AAA's).

Back