CX-9 Backup camera mirror option - Opinions?

gtxjoe

Hi,

Can someone who as the backup camera mirror give us a quick review?

I am considering buying this and installing it, but I want to make sure it is useful, before I spend the money.

Thanks,
Joe

I have this option and like it very much. I won't go so far as to say that a backup camera is a necessity in the CX-9 but it's pretty damn close. Because of the car's height and the size and shape of the windows in the back, it is impossible to see anything under 3 or 4 ft. tall. This includes other cars when parallel parking, curbs, kids, bicycles, etc. Obviously the nav package gives you a much bigger screen but the rear view mirror image is certainly adequate. If you don't want nav, get the mirror option and you will be glad you did.
I'd also add that the while the nav screen is larger and more of a "premium" option, I've had many people marvel at the camera image in the rear view mirror, including people who have full nav screen backup cameras in other cars. It's definitely a nice solution that provides a degree of safety at reasonable cost.

Last edited:
I have the nav one. At first I thought it was just a useless novelty, but I've actually kind of come to like it. It takes some getting used to, but I will look at the screen briefly before backing out of the garage or a parking spot before turning my head to look back. The best thing though is backing into a parking spot - makes it MUCH easier to do. Not as much back and forth to straighten out any more.

It doesn't replace turning your head around to look but it is a great additional check to make sure it is safe to back up.

I too have the backup camera in the NAV and I've found it to be very useful. Not too sure how it would be looking at such a small screen on the mirror though.

Looking at it in the mirror isn't bad but I imagine the large screen on the NAV helps.

I would have preferred having the camera image on the rearview mirror instead of the Nav screen. The image on the Nav screen gets washed out in direct sunlight. Do you guys have a fix for that?

I would have preferred having the camera image on the rearview mirror instead of the Nav screen. The image on the Nav screen gets washed out in direct sunlight. Do you guys have a fix for that?

Yes, press the "daylight" button so the NAV screen gets brighter.

I'd tell you to use sunglasses but the polarized film they use on the NAV screen is almost perpendicular (opposite phase) to the polarization of my Maui Jim's, As a result, I usually have to lift my sunglasses to see anything on the screen while driving during sunny daylight.

Thanks for the info. Is the "daylight" button the one at top left of the instrument panel RPM gauge?

Back