2001 Mazda Millenia tcs on/off engine surges please help

First off I hope I am in the correct forum. If not, moderators please put me in the right one so that my question can get prompt attention.

Everytime I drive as soon as I get to 20mph sometimes sooner, my tcs off light come on and the other tcs indicator blinks. My engine then surges. This has been going on for about 8 months but just been dealing with it. This car is junk. I wish i never had bought it. already had to spend $3500 to rebuild the tranny and $800+ to replace the starter. Also had to replace a solenoid but i was blessed to have that still under warranty. I dont know what else to do. Its so annoying, in order to fix it, I have to turn the car off then back on I guess this resets the computer or something. Its only a temp fix, as in a few minutes the same thing happens. I am at wits end. I am so very annoyed and upset that I have to go thru this. Please someone help me. When I took it to a Mazda dealer (hoping they could fix it) they ended up just fixing a starter and blamed the rest on cylinder misfire but wanted to charge me $2500+ to fix it.

It is a 2001 Mazda Millenia S 2.5 Miller cycle engine Supercharged

Please help. (pissed)

What area/region/state are you located in?

There is a Certified Mazda Expert in the east end of Louisville (Kentucky), named Dr Zoom. This guy knows all about Mazda's and he's alot cheaper than the dealer. He could probably help you, if you are in the area.

Sounds like you've had alot of issues with your Millenia. Usually Mazda's are really good cars, but I don't know much about the Millenia myself. I know one person that used to have one, I'll ask him about this.

Check your vacuum lines and all the connections

What area/region/state are you located in?

There is a Certified Mazda Expert in the east end of Louisville (Kentucky), named Dr Zoom. This guy knows all about Mazda's and he's alot cheaper than the dealer. He could probably help you, if you are in the area.

Sounds like you've had alot of issues with your Millenia. Usually Mazda's are really good cars, but I don't know much about the Millenia myself. I know one person that used to have one, I'll ask him about this.

TCS is coming on due to a leak, incorrectly routed or bad solenoid in the vacuum lines. The hoses and connections tend to get brittle over time from the heat and they will crack and break. It happened in mine and I felt exactly like you do, frusterated!! it took time and patience to find where the problem lines were, but eventually the bad parts were replaced and all was well after that. If there is a leak, you can always take starting fluid and when car is running, spray small amounts along the vacuum lines. If there is a leak, the engine should rev slightly when you hit the area of the leak with the starting fluid. Then you will know where to repair. If its vacuum lines that are connected wrong, then this of coarse would not help you at all. There are good diagrams online that show the lines and routing. If you have the Miller Supercharged engine (like I do) you have a tedious and daunting task ahead... lots of vacuum lines and they are hard to work with due to minimal space. Hope this helps

your engine is in limp home mode. your check engine lite should be on, and stored codes 1525/26/1540. these are your vacuum/vent solenoids, and the abv. when the abv is not operating correctly, the tcm is taken out of the loop, and the car goes limp home. you should change the solenoids, and change the vacuum lines and the tee's. all of this is easy to do, but labor intensive. if you cannot do the work yourself, you should get rid of the car.

i would say sensor is bad myself but vaccum lines could be a idea also easiest way to find vaccum leak turn ur car on let it idle open hood and listen get can of starting fluid spray towards the noise when starting fluid hits bad vaccum line ur car will rev up then youve found ur culprit.. goodluck

I am also having this same issue. I sprayed a can of carb cleaner everywhere there was a line and no reaction with rpms

1. A rebuilt transmission is most likely the result of previous owners neglecting to change the transmission fluid.

2. replacing a starter is standard maintenance. you have a rare car and a very good one, other then spending $3500 to rebuild the transmission which is way too much to spend on a car like this, I don't see what's the big issue with your car or why you hate it.

3. skip the dealer all together with this issue and find a mechanic whenever you have any issues.

4. you might get super lucky and be able to get away with simply unplugging the fuse/solenoid or whatever for the TCS. if that does not solve the issue, go to an actual mechanic, not the dealership.

side note - how much did you pay for this car and what is the mileage? is it in good condition and how does it drive?

Back