Mazda 3 GX 2007 clutch problems

papabear

Hi guys,

Since about 2 months I'm having problems with my clutch.
The car has only 34k km on it. I'm the first owner. I've been driving manual transmissions my whole life. It's mainly driven to get to work, 25% city drive, 75% highway.

What happens is the following: no matter what gear I'm in, if I keep the engine under 3k rpm and driving at constant speed I feel and hear a faint bump-bump-bump-bump noise. It dissapears as soon as the I let the car in engine brake or I accelerate. It's also more pronounced when I go uphill.

I asked the dealer a week ago what the problem is, the tech took the car for a spin but was not able to reproduce it as it happens when I drive it. He tried to make the clutch slip, but didn't happened ( 2nd or 3rd gear at 1.5k rpm and floor it) the car hesitated for a little bit but then it picked up speed as the revs went up.
He told me that the clutch is the issue, and that I should try not to change gears under 3k rmp and never to keep the car under 3k rpm and maybe, just maybe, in time the clutch will come back.
Well, I wasnt changing gears under 2.5k rpm before either (and I'm not someone who's driving hard on clutch), but hey, I was willing to give it a try. After doing this for a week nothing changed for the better...probably for the worse as I can tell.
I asked them about warranty, they said the clutch wear and tear is not covered by warranty after the first year.

Now, my question is do you guys know anything about this kind of issue? Could it be solved outside of dealer service? Where and for how much?
And if my clutch needs a change, since my car is a lease, do I have to change it at the dealer?
Before I call my insurace, any1 has any idea if this kind of repair is covered by insurance, and do you think is worth the headache going through?

thanks,

Be safe!

If your insurance company covers a clutch repair, I want their phone number.

is the clutch slipping or just making noise ???

for now is just making noise, as far as I can say there is no slipping or is not noticeable one. I don't feel like the power transmission to the wheels is somehow interrupted by that noise, but I don't know what to say, it's probably because it's not that bad yet?

If your insurance company covers a clutch repair, I want their phone number.
lol, agree

Last edited:
i dont think its a clutch issue.. sounds like throw out bearing... i wouldnt worry about it that much

hmm, ok, well, can u explain me (either here or on PM) how that stuff works?
or anyone can give me a link to RTM :) ?

ty!

Be safe!

LE:
I did a few tests last night and the clutch is definitely not slipping, it emgages quite nicely actually.

I'm beginning to think he mechanic I was talking with at my mazda dealer didn't know what he was talking about.
The problem is still there though...any other ideas?

Last edited:
Can you feel any vibration? Or just hear it?

Also, lol @ the dealer saying "Just don't shift or run the car under 3k anymore."

main problem will be motor mounts.. not the clutch..
most of the time.. the "loosing power/slipping clutch" feeling will be made when passenger side motor mount is shot, since it will get the engine to move a lot more, which would result in having weird hesitation feeling.. also engine/trans hitting another part of the engine bay

@canyonarrow

well, I can feel a little bit of vibration also...and its more and more intense as time passes.
Now I feel that "loosing power/slipping clutch" thing even on second gear.
I did quite a few acceleration tests since and the clutch slips a little before engaging (for a split second) but it's all good after.
And yeah, that "don't run the car under 3k rpm" sounded a little strange for me too. I mean I'm not keeping it in the 1k rpm range,but sometimes I just wanna let it go in the 4th at 55-60kmh and enjoy the nice ride. Can't do that now cause the whole dam thing is starting to sound like I have triangular wheels.

@lucaspl88

I had a few times the feeling that the car hesitated a little bit, especially when accelerating slowly. I can't really put my finger on it for now because it's not something that happens often or on a constant basis.

Back