GROM Audio kit install

Saw a video going over the use of the GROM and it appears that the iPhone / iPod can still be used to control the music / sound. Is this true?

The Axxess unit doesn't let me change tracks / playlists from the phone when it's connected.

Yes, the phone retains all function even when plugged in with the GROM.

As for install, it took me about 10 minutes of lying in my floorboard with a flashlight to get it plugged in without removing the stereo. The GROM item is awesome.

Any advantage of this over the Audiolink iPod adapter (now called the XCarLink), other than price? I have the Audiolink adapter; it retains full steering wheel controls, you can still use the iPod controls when plugged in, and it charges the iPod. However, it does not charge my iPhone, and for some reason (probably my phone's settings) constantly stops playing and reminds me that it's not compatible. My fiance's iPhone works fine, but also does not charge.

Any advantage of this over the Audiolink iPod adapter (now called the XCarLink), other than price? I have the Audiolink adapter; it retains full steering wheel controls, you can still use the iPod controls when plugged in, and it charges the iPod. However, it does not charge my iPhone, and for some reason (probably my phone's settings) constantly stops playing and reminds me that it's not compatible. My fiance's iPhone works fine, but also does not charge.

The GROM item charges my 3G iPhone. It has an initial notification that it's "Not made for iPhone" (because it's not an Apple-endorsed item). However, after the initial notificiation it works perfectly. It even turns off the iPhone/iPod when you turn the stereo off and when you turn the car off. If you change inputs to CD or Radio, it also stops the device's playback.

Can you use this if you have the mazda sattellite radio box plugged in as well? Not sure if it connects to the same plug or not.

Can you use this if you have the mazda sattellite radio box plugged in as well? Not sure if it connects to the same plug or not.

Nope, you'll have to get the Auxmod or Axxess kit. Those use the MD/Media slot under the radio instead of the Sat radio/CD changer plugin.

Any input as to whether you can use change tracks via the iPod with the GROM unit?

I was on the GROM website and 2 models came up. The GROM-12-MAZ and the GROM-AUX-MAZ. I have an 07 Speed6 and was wondering the difference between them and which one I would need. Thanks.

I was on the GROM website and 2 models came up. The GROM-12-MAZ and the GROM-AUX-MAZ. I have an 07 Speed6 and was wondering the difference between them and which one I would need. Thanks.
I looked on the GROM Audio website and couldn't find a GROM-12-MAZ. Can you provide a link on that product?

Also, did you try sending the company an email?

Finally, are you just looking for an AUX port, or do you intend to connect a USB drive or iPod to your stereo?

Got mine installed yesterday in about 1.5 hours. I got the iPod interface one that plugs into the CD player (push CD once for CD, twice for iPod) and don't get text and it won't turn off my iPod after turning off the ignition, but that's not a big deal, I love the sound quality and that's why I got the kit. Easy to install, great sound.

Hi,

Does anyone know if this adapter works fine for 2009 Mazda 5 GT?. Mine has a factory installed 6 CD changer(not MP3 compatible), Sirius sat ready and bluetooth

has anyone tried to make an extended adapter for the 16 pin connector in the back of the radio?

Its early and I am having troubles typing what I envision in my head but basically just the male end of the 16 pin and on the other end of the extended cable the female end. You could just run the cable into the glove box or anywhere and then you could switch sat radio and the grom at anytime without having to get to the back of the radio.

If this makes sense, can this be done?

I have an 04 m6s and i wanted to get the grom ipod adapter one, it says i have to "change" the radio and i hear from other threads that you have to solder the 04 ones. what do they mean by change and do i have to solder something? or is it just the easy installation?

Anyone have an issue where all but one speaker works? I made sure the plug is all the way in, and if I move the cord around a bit, the speaker goes on. Also, it rarely charges my iPod correctly. No text/time is displayed either. I will be requesting a RMA later this spring.

So, I got my GROM Ipod adapter in a week or so ago and am not sure what to think. The music playback so far has been fine. Sound quality is good and I can control from IPOD itself or from the radio steering wheel. When the ignition on, the ipod shows that it is charging and when off, appears to be idle. Also, upon startup it will auto play from where you left off

Well, at least sometimes for me. I noticed when I first got it hooked up, that I could play and charge no problem all day. Then I would park it my garage, and leave the ipod hooked up. It appears to stop charging and fall asleep after a little while. Seems ok. But, I kept going out to my car the next morning and the ipod would be DEAD with zero charge. Sometimes so dead that the GROM couldn't wake it up. I would have to plug into a computer where it would sit for several minutes saying "extremely low batt"

I hadn't really used the ipod for a while and it is pretty old so I figured the battery was just shot. I ordered a replacement battery and got it installed. Used it yesterday, worked great. Left it plugged into the GROM over night and then this morning the battery was almost completely dead again!!

I know that was a long explanation, but i am wondering if anyone else has expierenced anything similar. It has been pretty cold in my garage overnight, so that might have something to do wit it, but I don't want to have to unplug and bring in the ipod every night. Is this a possible defect with my particular unit or do all the units behave this way? I thought I read on GROM website that they say you can leave it plugged in.

I have noticed that my adapter only pauses the song when I turn off the ignition, I have to manually turn the iPod off which isn't a big deal to me. However, if I turn off the iPod, and put it on "lock" it'll turn back on while plugged into the GROM.

Last edited:
FINALLY got around to installing the Grom piece. I had to unplug the Sat Radio (no big deal) and plug the Grom kit into the 16 pin spot. When I hit the Sat button or the media button, nothing happens. So, I have to hit the CD button twice and it works. Doesn't charge my iPhone 4, or allow dash control.....but I don't care....the sound quality is awesome.

FINALLY got around to installing the Grom piece. I had to unplug the Sat Radio (no big deal) and plug the Grom kit into the 16 pin spot. When I hit the Sat button or the media button, nothing happens. So, I have to hit the CD button twice and it works. Doesn't charge my iPhone 4, or allow dash control.....but I don't care....the sound quality is awesome.

Your SUPPOSED to have to hit CD twice, that's how mine works. As for the other issues, I don't know. However I think a different cable is in order to charge iPhone 4..

Back