GROM Audio kit install

Evolved

:
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT
Anyone have a write-up on an install of the GROM Aux kit? It says just basic tools are required to remove the HU, however, I am not sure on how to do this.

Thanks in advance!

I did this on a friends 3, very easy to install. Radio removal takes only a few minutes, and this plugs into the 16-pin connector on the back.

I did this on a friends 3, very easy to install. Radio removal takes only a few minutes, and this plugs into the 16-pin connector on the back.

How do you remove the radio? Is the 16-pin connector the obvious choice back there? What I mean is, is that connector the only open port for it?

hey before removing the radio, grab a flashlight and shove your head up by the gas peddle and look up towards the back of the radio. i wuz able to get my hand up there and plug it in without taking the radio out

hey before removing the radio, grab a flashlight and shove your head up by the gas peddle and look up towards the back of the radio. i wuz able to get my hand up there and plug it in without taking the radio out

Jackpot....doing this after work. Was it fairly obvious where the connector was supposed to go?

Jackpot....doing this after work. Was it fairly obvious where the connector was supposed to go?
Yes, it's very obvious. The install is very easy. Just go to the How To forum to find a post on removing the radio to install a gauge pod. Basically you need to remove two screws and one 10 mm bolt. Otherwise, all the parts are removed without tools.

You'll want to secure the unit behind the dash. I used zip ties to do that. Also, make sure you get the antenna plugged back in. Otherwise, you'll be ripping the dash apart to put the cable back into the head unit.

yes. if you can see the back of the radio from under the driver's side of the dash, you will see the white connecter. just reach up there and plug it in. then ziptie the box to sumthing under the dash. i wouldnt take out the radio if your able to find the plug.

i did mine this weekend. very easy, just 4 screws and the 10mm bolt. i love having the newly added options now :)

In the writeup this says it retains full control via the radio controls... does that include being able to use the steering wheel controls? (for the Ipod version)

i got the mini plug(rca to mini plug) because i have iphone, xm ,etc. so only mute and volume work (steering wheel and HU). display shows EX

In the writeup this says it retains full control via the radio controls... does that include being able to use the steering wheel controls? (for the Ipod version)
All steering wheel controls work for the ipod.

I installed mine last week. Couldn't get it plugged in without the radio removed, but found removal of the radio to be extremely easy.

Works well and worth the money.

Tony

Saw a video going over the use of the GROM and it appears that the iPhone / iPod can still be used to control the music / sound. Is this true?

The Axxess unit doesn't let me change tracks / playlists from the phone when it's connected.

Back