How to: install defrost vent gauge pod

block8head

:
06 MS6 black mica GT
I'm not very good with the write up, so just follow the pics to your success.. (wink)
Remove this dash piece by using other steps...
Picture250edited.jpg

To remove the pille you have to push it towrd the roof to unlock those clips behind the pillar...
Picture250edited-1.jpg

Picture255edited.jpg

Picture256edited.jpg

Picture257edited.jpg

Picture258edited.jpg

Picture260edited.jpg

Picture261edited.jpg

Picture267edited.jpg

Picture264edited.jpg

Picture268edited.jpg

Picture276edited.jpg

Picture253edited.jpg

you can be able to remove this screw from the round vent below..,simply remove the bottom vent to gain access...
Picture252edited.jpg

Picture251edited.jpg

There might be few missing steps ,but i'm sure you be able to figure it out...

One you done,put everything back in reverse order..
And here what is gonna look like when its done..:
IMG_0258.jpg

IMG_0257.jpg

IMG_0267.jpg

Enjoy..

Wow great write up!

Thanks!

Thought this might help with the first piece to remove:

Attachments

• dash-piece.jpg
    dash-piece.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 1,224
Last edited:
block8head made them from his own establishment. There was a GB for them last year sometime. Glad i got mine. This is quite possibly the best single pod for the MS3. PITA to install though with the disassembly of the ENTIRE dash. But worth it nonetheless.

This is an interesting setup...

Just got it all put in last night. Looks good, fitment is great. Thanks!

P1000366.jpg

P1000365.jpg

P1000367.jpg

On a side note I did get around having to take the dash apart for the install.

-With the driver's side vent out you can see the small Phillips screw that holds the defrost vent in place.
-However there is a small plastic piece that covers the head.
-I snipped this off (about 1/2" by 1/2" piece) and used a ratchet wrench with a Phillips bit to remove the screw.
-Then I drilled a small hole into the duct as far back as I could to run the wires so I wouldn't be able to see them inside the defrost vent slots.

Reverse order to install and all done.

what gauge is that? and what does it do?
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123753844&page=9

if I already have access thru the ventpod (the vent below the defront pod), can I avoid removing the whole dash?

Nice. It's looking good. I was going to do the same thing with my VEI gauge,. I went to Home Depot to find something suitable and picked up a short piece of black 2" plumbing pipe coupling. It's slightly too small ID so if I was going to use it I'd have to get it machined out a bit, build a backing for it, and then mount it in similar fashion.

you do not need to remove all of that to get the old vent out and the new one installed. you can access the screw holding the vent in but simply removing the the round a/c vent below it. grab inside the vent a bit with your fingers and tug and the vent part will come out of the cup in the dash. then grab the cup and twist it counter clockwise and pull and the cup will come out also as it is simply twist locked into place. then look into where the defrost vent is and at the front edge behind some foam is the screw. it is facing towards the front of the car so you will need to get at it with a small phillips head through the hole where the round vent was at. I installed my boost gauge in that defrost vent pod and wired it up using the switchs on the lower drivers side dash. you can find 12v switched, ground and illumination wires in those switches without having to run wires all the way over to the passanger side fuse box...

Last edited:
you do not need to remove all of that to get the old vent out and the new one installed. you can access the screw holding the vent in but simply removing the the round a/c vent below it. grab inside the vent a bit with your fingers and tug and the vent part will come out of the cup in the dash. then grab the cup and twist it counter clockwise and pull and the cup will come out also as it is simply twist locked into place. then look into where the defrost vent is and at the front edge behind some foam is the screw. it is facing towards the front of the car so you will need to get at it with a small phillips head through the hole where the round vent was at. I installed my boost gauge in that defrost vent pod and wired it up using the switchs on the lower drivers side dash. you can find 12v switched, ground and illumination wires in those switches without having to run wires all the way over to the passanger side fuse box...

Thank you sir for the useful tips..... :)

For this install how did you fish the wires through to get it to the switches? Did you still have to remove the under side of the dash?

Hmm I was able to twist it counter clockwise but it doesn't really pull out afterwards.

Back