CorkSport.com is MAZDA PERFORMANCE!
CorkSport.com is MAZDA PERFORMANCE!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to: install defrost vent gauge pod

Hybrid View

06 MS6 black mica GT

How to: install defrost vent gauge pod

I'm not very good with the write up, so just follow the pics to your success..
    Remove this dash piece by using other steps...

To remove the pille you have to push it towrd the roof to unlock those clips behind the pillar...

you can be able to remove this screw from the round vent below..,simply remove the bottom vent to gain access...

There might be few missing steps ,but i'm sure you be able to figure it out...

One you done,put everything back in reverse order..
    And here what is gonna look like when its done..:

Enjoy..

2009 Subaru WRX Sedan

Wow great write up!

Thanks!

Thought this might help with the first piece to remove:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Sport6; 09-22-2009 at 10:13 AM.
    Traded....

06 MS6 black mica GT

Thanks Zack..

01 mazda mp3 06 mazdaspeed6

thanks, alota help

Registered User..of what? Mid_Life_Crisis's Avatar
    Donated: $25

2007 MS3

I've never seen this before. Where did you get it?
    Beer is proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin.

2008 Hyper-Silver Mazdaspeed3

block8head made them from his own establishment. There was a GB for them last year sometime. Glad i got mine. This is quite possibly the best single pod for the MS3. PITA to install though with the disassembly of the ENTIRE dash. But worth it nonetheless.
    'o8 SunSilver MS3 Sport

MS CAI in SRI mode | cobb inlet | su boost tubes | forge bpv | trz rear mm | cs testpipe

08 MazdaSpeed3

This is an interesting setup...

Quote Originally Posted by Mazda3X2 View Post
    Just got it all put in last night. Looks good, fitment is great. Thanks!

On a side note I did get around having to take the dash apart for the install.

-With the driver's side vent out you can see the small Phillips screw that holds the defrost vent in place.
    -However there is a small plastic piece that covers the head.
    -I snipped this off (about 1/2" by 1/2" piece) and used a ratchet wrench with a Phillips bit to remove the screw.
    -Then I drilled a small hole into the duct as far back as I could to run the wires so I wouldn't be able to see them inside the defrost vent slots.

Reverse order to install and all done.
    what gauge is that? and what does it do?
    http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showt...3753844&page=9
    08 MazdaSpeed3

2008 mazdaspeed3

it's an aeroforce interceptor, very nice little gauge.

http://www.aeroforcetech.com/products_interceptor.html
    '08 ms3 gt tr - sri, tip, ss, rmm, rsb, tmic

Registered Member

if I already have access thru the ventpod (the vent below the defront pod), can I avoid removing the whole dash?

06 MS6 black mica GT

Quote Originally Posted by Fobio View Post
    if I already have access thru the ventpod (the vent below the defront pod), can I avoid removing the whole dash?
    Corrected, you can access to the screw from the bottom vent....

Registered Member

Nice. It's looking good. I was going to do the same thing with my VEI gauge,. I went to Home Depot to find something suitable and picked up a short piece of black 2" plumbing pipe coupling. It's slightly too small ID so if I was going to use it I'd have to get it machined out a bit, build a backing for it, and then mount it in similar fashion.

'07 Mazdaspeed3 Sport, Sunlight Silver

Quote Originally Posted by block8head View Post
    Corrected, you can access to the screw from the bottom vent....
    would that require removing the AC ducting?
    "Am I a Christian? Are you a Jew? Did you kill my Lord? Must I forgive you?"

-David Bazan

i'm not a christian.

Registered Member

'07 MazdaSpeed 3

you do not need to remove all of that to get the old vent out and the new one installed. you can access the screw holding the vent in but simply removing the the round a/c vent below it. grab inside the vent a bit with your fingers and tug and the vent part will come out of the cup in the dash. then grab the cup and twist it counter clockwise and pull and the cup will come out also as it is simply twist locked into place. then look into where the defrost vent is and at the front edge behind some foam is the screw. it is facing towards the front of the car so you will need to get at it with a small phillips head through the hole where the round vent was at. I installed my boost gauge in that defrost vent pod and wired it up using the switchs on the lower drivers side dash. you can find 12v switched, ground and illumination wires in those switches without having to run wires all the way over to the passanger side fuse box...
    Last edited by Rubasu; 04-26-2010 at 10:34 AM.

06 MS6 black mica GT

Quote Originally Posted by Rubasu View Post
    you do not need to remove all of that to get the old vent out and the new one installed. you can access the screw holding the vent in but simply removing the the round a/c vent below it. grab inside the vent a bit with your fingers and tug and the vent part will come out of the cup in the dash. then grab the cup and twist it counter clockwise and pull and the cup will come out also as it is simply twist locked into place. then look into where the defrost vent is and at the front edge behind some foam is the screw. it is facing towards the front of the car so you will need to get at it with a small phillips head through the hole where the round vent was at. I installed my boost gauge in that defrost vent pod and wired it up using the switchs on the lower drivers side dash. you can find 12v switched, ground and illumination wires in those switches without having to run wires all the way over to the passanger side fuse box...
    Thank you sir for the useful tips.....

Registered Member

Mazda, MS3

Quote Originally Posted by Rubasu View Post
    For this install how did you fish the wires through to get it to the switches? Did you still have to remove the under side of the dash?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast