Water in trunk...

jordanxmiles

:
2001 MP3 Laser Blue Mica
Hey guys, I don't post much, but I've been lurking around here since I bought my MP3 about 2 years ago.
Since I bought the car, I've always noticed a small amount of water after heavy rains in the little compartment where the jack is stored. I just looked today after it's been raining for the past week and it's gotten worse. There's at least 3 inches of standing water inside the compartment.
Has anyone else had this problem? Or know where the hell the water could be coming in?

I have the same problem in my MP3.. Not sure how it gets in there... The only thing we can do is drill a small whole so the water gets out...

I have the same problem in my MP3.. Not sure how it gets in there... The only thing we can do is drill a small whole so the water gets out...

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one with this problem. Did drilling a hole work for you?

This is a common problem with Proteges. A slight rear ending, insufficient to cause any visible damage, can (will) crack the seams hidden by the bumper. This allows water to enter the trunk, and the water usually pools in either the jack area or the corresponding compartment on the left side.

The best solution is to find the busted seam by removing the tail light (and bumper cover if necessary) and using a sealant (such as silicone) to seal off the crack. Should take about one hour to do with a little know-how.

There's a write-up on this somewhere on here.

This is a common problem with Proteges. A slight rear ending, insufficient to cause any visible damage, can (will) crack the seams hidden by the bumper. This allows water to enter the trunk, and the water usually pools in either the jack area or the corresponding compartment on the left side.

The best solution is to find the busted seam by removing the tail light (and bumper cover if necessary) and using a sealant (such as silicone) to seal off the crack. Should take about one hour to do with a little know-how.

There's a write-up on this somewhere on here.
Thanks, this is a big help. I actually was rear-ended about a year ago and it is very likely that could be the problem.

search! this has been talked about before!
I did search. I couldn't find anything on this.

I had this problem on both sides. I got a hose and put it at the top of the window and climbed through the back seat and waited to see where the water was coming from. It was coming from right under the tail light.

Same issue...

Checking out the spare and jack situation noticed water in the fender wells (and one rusted jack). Isolated it to the bumper hangers pulling away from the body, causing stress fractures in paint and allowing water to seep in. No rear bumper damage noted...assume it's from normal stress on the hangers from driving...

Here are some picks...

leak1.jpg

Driver side hanger...

leak2.jpg

Close up of driver side...

leak3.jpg

Driver side...water seeps between sheet metal...pools up in fender well...

leak5.jpg

Passenger side...

leak6.jpg

Passenger side...

^^get some sealer and put it on both sides of where the water is coming through and should solve the problem

Ha Ha...When I reached for the jack in my protege sedan last winter in detroit, it was encased in a block of ice..

I'm having the same issue. Actually, several leaks. Using a garden hose, I isolated the source of the leak in the trunk. Looks like dry rotted weather stripping around the hatchback of the Protege 5. I'll replace that ASAP. I also went to the hardware store and bought washers for the dry rotted washers behind the tail lights. But I think my real problem is the weather stripping. I also have water getting in to the front compartment somehow. I have a wet front floorboard, both sides, but more pronounced on the driver's side. I know the sunroof has some seepage. It's not dripping onto the seats, but I suspect water is running down the interior of the A-frame and into the floorboard. Not sure what I'll do about that. I know the Mazda dealership will charge me a small fortune. I'm considering a heavy dose of silicone. Any suggestions?

Back