Grinding on Shifting

redline_r

:
2006 MS6 Sport
Under normal driving when i do a 1-2 shift i get a grinding like as though i don't have the clutch compressed all the way. Dealer drove it and said its probably got bad syncros, and would have to take apart the tranny to find out what it was and get parts ordered.
This dealer is super cool, never questioned anything, didn't give a rip about the few mods i had, just said since its still under warranty well get her fixed up for ya. (thumb)
Just dropped it off this morning so we'll see what happens and i keep you guys posted.

Verdict - so far

Dealer checked it out and said they could not duplicate it. Had the service manager ride with me and he could hear it faintly but probably feel it more than hear it. Also showed him how the car lagged big time on the 1-2 shift.
He agrees that its not normal but wanted to wait for his tech to get back from Mazda Tranny training to persue it further, as Mazda Corp will not let them take apart the tranny unless they can duplicate problem.
Tech to get back tomorrow so will keep posting updates as i get them.

I'm SOL on this one. Mazda Corp said that the syncros are getting worn most likely due to owner abuse.
Unless something totally breaks down they won't let the Dealership take apart the tranny.

I'm in the same boat as you, dealer won't do squat and mine just started popping out of second and grinding while on the gas!!!! I'm trading in on a KIA.

Mine currently does not pop out just sort of grinds. If it did pop out the dealer probably would do something.

wow that sucks. are you hard on it? any track use? did you buy it used? if so, how many miles? what are your mods? what would you do for a klondike bar?

Flywheel issue probably. I know this happens if u burn the clutch and flywheel and don't replace the flywheel after swapping out the clutch. Mazda put in a half ass clutch...

wow that sucks. are you hard on it? any track use? did you buy it used? if so, how many miles? what are your mods? what would you do for a klondike bar?

Not really, on the hwy on ramp i sometimes take it to the 5800k mark but not often. bought it used with some mods(prob my mistake), have 46.5k miles now. And i don't like klondike bars.

Flywheel issue probably. I know this happens if u burn the clutch and flywheel and don't replace the flywheel after swapping out the clutch. Mazda put in a half ass clutch...

I don't think the clutch has been replaced, it was produced outside the Clutch TSB so not sure. Hopefully after this winter will have enough for a new clutch/flywheel.

Also if you have a tranny fluid that's not M-1 certified it'll eat away at your synchros.

Will be swapping out the tranny fluid on this next oil change.

Last edited:
I am starting to get the same problem on my MS3 (it has about 44K miles). It only grinds on 2nd or 3rd gear. It doesn't pop out of gear,,,, yet. I am a little worried. Also thinking of selling it. :eek:

Back