02 Protoge with clunking sound in front end when turning

urmnymkr

I have this annoying clunking sound in the front end when either turning or going over bumps. Actual location is front right. I looked underneath and found a rubber ring with a steel band around it hanging on one of the suspension bars, it appears to have split and was just riding on the bar.

Question is what is the name of the bushing I am looking for and how hard of a job is it to replace it?

Thanks in advance----Mike

Sounds like your CV joint and the CV boot is whats ripped up, but some pics would tell the story fast.

I have this annoying clunking sound in the front end when either turning or going over bumps. Actual location is front right. I looked underneath and found a rubber ring with a steel band around it hanging on one of the suspension bars, it appears to have split and was just riding on the bar.

Question is what is the name of the bushing I am looking for and how hard of a job is it to replace it?

Thanks in advance----Mike

I agree- cv boot. CV stands for Constant Velocity- it's essentially your driveshaft. You really need to replace the whole shaft... it's a pain but you can do it if you're good.

could be a lot of things, cv boot, bushings, when i had it it was my front endlink but i didnt have anything hanging off

check out the ball joint, I left the bolt loose and it resulted in a clunking noise when turning and over bumps. Probably the same if its going out.

Back