Wheel Corrosion Issue

joshritger

:
2007 Galaxy Grey Mazda 3 S Hatchback (a.k.a. DILLA)
Does anyone know if wheel corrosion is covered by our warranty? And if so how long? I have used my stock snow flakes for one winter and then got steel wheels with snow tires on for winter. The center of each of my wheels around the logo has bubbling paint around it. I could understand if all of my wheels had damage, but only one has curb rash and the bubbling isn't even near my curb rash. It is all around the center emblem. Has anyone had their wheels warrantied? Also if you have do they give you new wheels or send them to get re-powder coated? See attached pic for an example of what I am talking about. Three out of the 4 wheels are this bad, one is just starting to bubble.

Thanks,
Josh

Attachments

• P9160188.JPG
    P9160188.JPG
    69.9 KB · Views: 275
Last edited:
"Mazda warrants that new Mazda cars and trucks will be free of defects with normal use and prescribed maintenance for 36 months or 36,000 miles, whichever comes first"

Thats what their attorneys say... and from that pic it looks like corrosion and I'd make them to warranty it. I cant imagine they would replace the wheel completely but its hard to say.... i assume it fulls under the same warranty that cars have on the paint and body panels.

As long as you don't go in there telling them you've put some strong degreaser on your wheels, you should be fine. Tell them you've been cleaning it with car soap and water and you noticed that and they should take care of it.

when they don't cover it, get some sandpaper, ospho, silver paint and clear coat to fix them yourself. warranty on corrosion usually covers perforation issues and not bubbling or surface rust.

So I have an update on this topic, I am getting my wheels repainted for free by the dealer. I took it in today to get the cabin air filters replaced and had the service manager look at the wheels. The service manager said that since I was still under warranty that they would refinish the wheels as a good will gesture. They will be sanding them down and doing an automotive finish i.e. sanding them down, painting them, and putting a clear coat on them. This seams like a pretty good dealer gesture. If they allow me to choose what color to paint them what color should I have them painted? I was thinking either black or galaxy grey to match the car.

Oh and the car is an 07 galaxy grey hatch with no visible mods and no window tint.

Give me some opinions or pics of galaxy grey cars with different rim colors.

Thanks,
Josh

skylar2ups are you talking about liquid silver metallic? That is the only silver or grey color that the 2010 cx-7 comes in.

Thanks,
Josh

How would something like the color of these rx-8 wheels look, they appear to be slightly darker than my galaxy grey car ?

I have attempted a bad photoshop job let me know what you guys think?

Attachments

• mazda-rx-8_2009_800x600_wallpaper_0b_V4Q_PakWheels(com).jpg
    mazda-rx-8_2009_800x600_wallpaper_0b_V4Q_PakWheels(com).jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 224
  • MZ3 with RX8 Rims.jpg
    MZ3 with RX8 Rims.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 210
Last edited:
That is a little dark... you would have to see them next to/on the car to tell if it'd look good to you, I'm sure it will look okay but you know personal taste.

Back