How to: Disconnect the car battery ?

Hi I have a mazda3 2006 touring.

I was wondering how to disconnect the car battery ? and what the safety measures are ? I"m new to cars.

and what I have to do when trying to reconnecting the battery ?

This is to install an ipod component.

Any feed back would be good. Pics/Video would help more !

Tried searching this couldn't find a proper post

THANK YOU !

ok well.. take off the battery cover. i believe 2 clips on side. get a 8mm or is it 10mm wrench/socket. loosen the negative battery terminal. pull off said negative and make sure it doesnt ground out on metal. i cover mine in a rag to make sure it doesnt scratch anything. do your ipod work. slide negative back over terminal, you may have to tap it lightly down, tighten bolt again. put cover back on. done.

as for safety dont let it ground to metal and you'll be ok. good luck have fun.

Thanks, i've read about having to calibrate the auto wiper sensor or something like that after disconnecting the battery ? anything else i have to do ?

also the instructions say this - Disconnect both battery terminals. So is that just the negative ?

Let me know thanks again !

by disconnecting the ground to the battery you make the circuit incomplete. you dont need to disconnect the + terminal ans long as you make sure the - does not ground out on anything. thats where the rag comes in.
havent heard anything about recalibration for auto wipers

It won't hurt anything for the negative cable to ground anywhere -- it IS the ground, but only while it's connected to the battery. Just be sure it can't accidentally touch the negative of the battery while you're working on the electricals. I just drop a roll of electrical tape over the battery post.

Oh, and make sure you wait two minutes or so for the airbag capacitors to discharge.

Back