Car pulls to the left

raserx

:
2002 P5
I can't seem to find the cause of my car pulling to the left. I checked tire pressure & had it aligned, no difference. Then I changed the springs,struts, endlinks, got it aligned again , no difference. I thought maybe one of the brake calipers on the left was dragging, but that's not it either. Any chance the power steering pump can be out of whack and causing this? The laser alignment showed the car was straight. Never been in an accident either, BTW.

I'm just guessing but since you have tried everything else, could it be the tires?
Try rotating them and see what happens.
As I say, I'm just guessing.

I'm just guessing but since you have tried everything else, could it be the tires?
Try rotating them and see what happens.
As I say, I'm just guessing.

Good Call on the tires, but wouldn't they have found that out when he took it in for the alignment?

Good Call on the tires, but wouldn't they have found that out when he took it in for the alignment?

No. Alignment sets the geometry of the wheels, they don't do anything which will measure forces generated by the tires. Usually if a car pulls it is because the problem tire is on the front. You can temporarily swap the front left and right tires and then drive it. If the tires are the problem the direction of pull will reverse with the swap. Do not leave it that way, but it is safe to drive for a mile or so with directional tires "backwards". Alternatively, swap the tires on the left side, drive it, then the ones on the right.

I have had this happen to me several times. A tire develops a pull and it has to stay on the back and can't be rotated forward because the car drifts too much when it is on the front. If the tires are new and you find one that pulls like this take it back and get a replacement. Tires can develop this problem from hitting potholes, uneven wear, or who knows, maybe gypsy curses. It is pretty common.

Has this always done this? Or if not, did it come on gradually or suddenly? Yeah try the tires positioning and see what that does.

No. Alignment sets the geometry of the wheels, they don't do anything which will measure forces generated by the tires. Usually if a car pulls it is because the problem tire is on the front. You can temporarily swap the front left and right tires and then drive it. If the tires are the problem the direction of pull will reverse with the swap. Do not leave it that way, but it is safe to drive for a mile or so with directional tires "backwards". Alternatively, swap the tires on the left side, drive it, then the ones on the right.

I have had this happen to me several times. A tire develops a pull and it has to stay on the back and can't be rotated forward because the car drifts too much when it is on the front. If the tires are new and you find one that pulls like this take it back and get a replacement. Tires can develop this problem from hitting potholes, uneven wear, or who knows, maybe gypsy curses. It is pretty common.

I completely concur with you on that. But I am just saying this from a Shop Owners point of view. When I do alignments I check for the tire wear and everything you just stated, I am just saying you would expect a place you take your car to, to inspect these.....if not you need to come to my shop and let me service your cars.

I completely concur with you on that. But I am just saying this from a Shop Owners point of view. When I do alignments I check for the tire wear and everything you just stated, I am just saying you would expect a place you take your car to, to inspect these.....if not you need to come to my shop and let me service your cars.

yea wish more people were like you

would bent wheels have any effect?
cause i know one of my wheels is a tiny bit bent i think and it causes the alignment to be off.

would bent wheels have any effect?
cause i know one of my wheels is a tiny bit bent i think and it causes the alignment to be off.

Bent wheels can definitely have an effect in this. again, something that would have been noticed when balancing the tire.

i've had the same problem. started about a month ago. had an alignment and didn't fix it. i'll have to try a tire rotation. wheels and tires are fairly new so it shouldn't be the problem but who knows??

put a fat b**** on the right side, it'll go straight! lol, jp Im all for slightly dragging caliper or a tire pull... best way to see if its a tire pull, switch the two fronts around, and see if it pulls to the right

after spending hours at different mechanics and tire places some one was finally smart enogh to mention radial "pull" or "drift" created by a defective tire. The Falkens i had on only had 4k miles on them. But sure enough after taking my car to where i purchased the tires they found out which tire it was and replaced it for free. No pull at all now. wish i would of had some one mention this possibility months ago. Good luck.

My 2002 has pulled to the right since the day I bought it new. 88K miles, several sets of tires, 3 four-wheel alignments, one change of brake pads, and just recently four new struts. Nothing has made a whit of difference. I'm actually thinking of replacing the steering rack because, frankly, I don't see how it can be anything else.

Have you tried adjusting your steering angle ??

My old Mazda GLC was pulling to the right. The mechanic rotated one or both struts and it stopped pulling.

Screenshot_2017-08-23-17-33-01.png

Back