Something more than a husky-liner?

Disappointed

I just got one of the official cargo liners from mazdagear.com.

Overall, I am not impressed, especially after waiting for this part for months. If anyone is interested, I'll take some pictures.

It is 5 separate pieces. The two seat back pieces attach with velcro to the carpeting, but they also require you to drill holes into the seat backs (4 places total). There a two smaller, rectangular pieces that cover the "flaps" at the base of the fold down seat hinge joint - these attach with velcro. Finally, there is one large piece that covers the rearmost portion of the cargo area.

My complaints:
1. None of the pieces seem to fit very well, I'm left with big gaps everwhere. The worst is the rearmost piece, which I honestly thought was for a different, smaller car when I first installed it. The piece doesn't cover the entire rear portion of the floor: there is a big gap in the right corner, and the left side corner is not covered at all (3+ inch gap). I'm wondering if the high end radio has a subwoofer in this position or something, but I only have the base radio.

2. The plastic looks cheap. It shows dirt and scuff marks like it is proud of them. I just installed it and it already looks filthy.

My advice: don't bother. Buy something else. I'll probably keep it, it will keep dog hair off the carpet (mostly), but I am very dissapointed. In my opinion, it is inexcusable that this part doesn't fit. Mazda should know what shape is required to fit perfectly.

Last edited:
Please post some pics, I have been waiting for almost a year and did not even know this actually came out. I stopped asking a few months ago.

Were you referring to this OEM cargo liner?

New-OEM-07-11-Mazda-CX9-CX-9-5-Piece-Rubber-Cargo-Tray-for-sale_370465380476.jpg

If so, then yes, pictures will be appreciated.

I just got one of the official cargo liners from mazdagear.com.

Overall, I am not impressed, especially after waiting for this part for months. If anyone is interested, I'll take some pictures.

It is 5 separate pieces. The two seat back pieces attach with velcro to the carpeting, but they also require you to drill holes into the seat backs (4 places total). There a two smaller, rectangular pieces that cover the "flaps" at the base of the fold down seat hinge joint - these attach with velcro. Finally, there is one large piece that covers the rearmost portion of the cargo area.

My complaints:
1. None of the pieces seem to fit very well, I'm left with big gaps everwhere. The worst is the rearmost piece, which I honestly thought was for a different, smaller car when I first installed it. The piece doesn't cover the entire rear portion of the floor: there is a big gap in the right corner, and the left side corner is not covered at all (3+ inch gap). I'm wondering if the high end radio has a subwoofer in this position or something, but I only have the base radio.

2. The plastic looks cheap. It shows dirt and scuff marks like it is proud of them. I just installed it and it already looks filthy.

My advice: don't bother. Buy something else. I'll probably keep it, it will keep dog hair off the carpet (mostly), but I am very dissapointed. In my opinion, it is inexcusable that this part doesn't fit. Mazda should know what shape is required to fit perfectly.

Here's a few shots. Sorry about the quality, the cellphone was the only camera handy.

Attachments

• leftside.jpg
    leftside.jpg
    404.8 KB · Views: 347
  • rightside.jpg
    rightside.jpg
    298.3 KB · Views: 320
  • everything.jpg
    everything.jpg
    324.4 KB · Views: 347
  • gap.jpg
    gap.jpg
    315 KB · Views: 338
  • instructions.jpg
    instructions.jpg
    474.9 KB · Views: 290
Last edited:
Here's a couple more. I have not yet drilled holes in the seat backs (still debating whether or not to keep the liner). If you look at the "seatup.jpg" shot, the holes go on the top left and right of the seat backs. There is a healthy amount of velcro holding the liner on to the seatback - the pieces stay in place without the drilled fastener. If you leave the seats down, you probably don't need to drill any holes. If they are up all the time, I guess mazda wanted to ensure the liner is more firmly attached.

Attachments

• left_edge.jpg
    left_edge.jpg
    391.1 KB · Views: 332
  • seatup.jpg
    seatup.jpg
    353.6 KB · Views: 305
Last edited:
The fit actually doesn't look too bad. The space on the left for the rearmost cargo mat is because on models with power lift gate, that's where the motor for the lift gate is hidden. Obviously, they did not manufacture 2 different rear most cargo mats to fit models with or without the power liftgate. But, what they should have done was made it so that it fits models without a power liftgate, then owners of models with power lift gates can just trim off the excess length.

Having said that, I would not trade my Weathertech mats in for that.

$93 at mazdaparts.org.
$100 or more for free shipping. (buy a filter or something).

Anyone knows of a better price.
I am interested.

Last edited:
I am going to go for it. Just ordered from Mazdaparts.org, I have had success with them in the past. Added a mazda keychain to get the free shipping.

I just received my cargo tray (and cargo net) from mazdaparts.org today and "installed" the cargo tray this evening. I'm really happy with the result - like many others, I've been waiting for several months for the release of this accessory.

If you don't use the third row very often, I imagine the Weathertech cargo mat may be of somewhat better quality, and being one piece, would protect better against actual spills.

But if you utilize the third row seats on regular basis (as I do) I love that Mazda (after a long delay) came out with an option that allows easy conversion of the 3rd row, while not disturbing the mats. I think the fit is actually quite good. I chose not to drill the holes in the back of the seats as per the instructions - as a previous poster mentioned, the velcro is strong and it seems as though the mats will stay in place just fine.

I'm thrilled with it, and think it's well worth the money, particularly considering the reasonable cost.

I use the 3rd row seat 50% of the times.
That is why this is the best solution for me.
Was the installation tricky? I heard that you need to "drill" into the 3rd seat.
Please explain it a little bit for me.
Attach a page of the instruction about the drilling will help a lot. Thanks in advance.

Sounds promising. Does it seem to do a good job dealing with liquids? Doesn't look like there are any lips along the edges to confine liquids. Also looks like anything that spilled would go between the seats.

There's nothing tricky about the installation at all, unless you choose to drill the holes per the instructions (and even then it shouldn't be a big deal) I was all prepared to do so, but once I had the mats down and adhered to the cargo floor with the velcro (which is the first step prior to any drilling), I decided it wasn't necessary. I may find that after some wear, it will be necessary, but they certainly seem secure to me.

The instructions call for four holes to be drilled - two at the top of each third row seat back. The resulting holes are used to attach a velcro strip that runs along the top edge of the seatback, via the provided plastic snaps. You're basically puncturing the seatback with a relatively small drill bit. But that velcro strip is already adhered to the seatback with velcro, so I thought it was secure.

As for spill protection, it really won't be that effective for big spills. The rear portion (behind the 3rd row) does have a small lip around it, but obviously there are gaps between the two seats, as well as the seats and the rear portion. Cargo "tray" may not be the best description. Think of it more as a set of all-weather mats that fit the seatbacks and rear cargo area.

Again, I'm really pleased with it. I commend Mazda for developing (at long last) a solution that takes into account the rear seats.

It is out of stock at mazdaparts.org. (How popular it is!!!)
waynemazda.com is cheaper by $4, but there is no free shipping...

It is out of stock at mazdaparts.org. (How popular it is!!!)
waynemazda.com is cheaper by $4, but there is no free shipping...
It is now available again.
Just ordered one plus wiper blades to go >$100 for free shipping...

just checked for tray

I just checked Mazdaparts.org for the cargo tray and it is sold out again. It is def. very popular.......Does anyone know of any good after market websites for 2011 CX9 accesorries?........or if the 2010 and the 2011 have similiar accesories. Im having a hard time finding interior or exterior accessories for the 2011 CX9 GT AWD...Thanks

I just checked Mazdaparts.org for the cargo tray and it is sold out again. It is def. very popular.......Does anyone know of any good after market websites for 2011 CX9 accesorries?........or if the 2010 and the 2011 have similiar accesories. Im having a hard time finding interior or exterior accessories for the 2011 CX9 GT AWD...Thanks
Other than mazdaparts.org (free shipping >$100), try waynemazda.com (no free shipping).
You should compare your costs including S&H.

Mazdaparts.org has more stuff than whatever on their website. They just don't put them up there,
Call them for it.

Other than the cargo tray, what exactly are you looking for?

I got my cargo tray and installed it last week. Love it.

Last edited:
ceric, Thanks for the info. I just checked mazdaparts.org and the cargo tray is avail again so im gonna order that today......

I was wanting to add a little more sound to my exhaust (deeper)..Im not sure how to do it. I was hoping it was just a tip replacement.. I dont want that whinny honda civic sound... I put a post on the accessory forum but have not had any reply's yet

I was wanting to add a little more sound to my exhaust (deeper)..Im not sure how to do it. I was hoping it was just a tip replacement.. I dont want that whinny honda civic sound... I put a post on the accessory forum but have not had any reply's yet

AFAIK, the only way to change the sound is to replace the mufflers with an aftermarket ones. I can't tell you which ones cause I've never looked into that. That would probably change the backpressure of the exhaust system and affect the overall performance. The tip does nothing except for looks.

Back