Synthetic 5w30 vs 5w40

cool....never heard of that part honestly. if this goes in the pcv line then its a release of crank pressure into the intake manifold. if i placed this inline from the crankcase to the intake mani removing the oil from the pressure release then would a catch can be deemed usless afterwards? anyone know an answer to this maybe?

i dont think you would need ur catch can considering that mazda has a new pcv system coming out very soon, that combined with the PT-performance fix on there and id say a catch can would be useless..

Considering they didnt get it right the first time, why not leave the OCC in. Not like its going to hurt anything by being there.

Considering they didnt get it right the first time, why not leave the OCC in. Not like its going to hurt anything by being there.

ohh you definetly could leave it in there im not saying he shouldnt.. its more personal preference at that point.. it wouldnt hurt anything ur right.. i just think that if u didnt have a OCC and u got the PCV fix and PTP fix it would be useless to put one in unless u still had problems..

ohh you definetly could leave it in there im not saying he shouldnt.. its more personal preference at that point.. it wouldnt hurt anything ur right.. i just think that if u didnt have a OCC and u got the PCV fix and PTP fix it would be useless to put one in unless u still had problems..

hypothetically you shouldnt so you would need one. lol. ahhh....the fixes that dont fix.

my car started smoking at idle/low rpm after a dp and I went crazy to try and fix it.my dealer said 5w-40 synthetic and 15min@3000rpm still smoked,another dealer said conventional 10w-40 still smokes,cobb catch can setup still smokes,pt performance part still smokes,turned the idle up still smokes.I'm now going back to the stock dp to bring it in for service!!damn you mazda fix this inherit problem aready!!!!!

Last edited:
Ugh!! Another thread talking about this topic..really??

If ur turbo is smoking buy this

http://www.pt-performance.com/showProduct.php?vID=3&cID=4&pID=260

try it out before u take it to the dealership, or start crying because ur car looks like a Pig Roast when its running.

also switch to 5w40 like stated in the eight million threads before this one started..its not going to hurt ur car.. there are plenty of members that have switched over to 5w40 without a single issue..

im 90% sure that doing these two things will solve any issues u have or will have with ur turbo seals... unless ur turbo is a complete POS.

sorry for the n00b question, but where does this actually go? i'm so paranoid right now and i want to prevent smoking even if i have a 2008.5

sorry for the n00b question, but where does this actually go? i'm so paranoid right now and i want to prevent smoking even if i have a 2008.5

the breather port coming off of the right side of the valve cover..if u buy it there are detailed instuctions on how to install it..its very easy takes 5 minutes.. to date with the 5w-40 and this fix in ive not had one puff of smoke come out of the exhaust.

^

hey thanks. i'm ordering it right now and might as well get that BS delete thingy while i'm at it.

^

hey thanks. i'm ordering it right now and might as well get that BS delete thingy while i'm at it.

not from them though..they just have a plug and i didnt trust it..go to F2usa.com and under mazda ull find there BSD kit...its better.

I fell victim to the "smokin' turbo" issue. I had Mobil 1 5W40 installed about 1 month ago and the problem has not reoccurred.

My dealership put 5w-20 ! in my car when i brought it in for smoking turbo. Said they needed to put heavier oil in to see if it would stop the smoking before replacing it. MORONS!; at least they replaced my turbo. I will never go back to them ever again, got what I wanted

So you can switch between those oil types without harm?

i use 5w30 in the winter season and 5w40 in the summer (synthetic). i do not have a smoking turbo issue, though.

This is more what I was searching for on this thread, because I bought a mazdaspeed three and the guy before me used the 5w-40 rotella T6, and I wasn't sure if it was alright to switch back. The oil I had in mind was pennzoil platinum.

I use Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 on my fully bolted, BNR S3'd Speed (390/385 @ the wheels). Multiple used oil analyses have shown that my car loves PP. Others have had the same results. Rotella is a solid choice too, but it's also been linked to faster accumulation of gunk on the intake valves due to its composition. Besides in-tank E25, I spray 12.8GPH of 100% methanol for cooling, cleaning, temp equalization year-round, and an extra safety layer. Additionally, between that, my EGR being disabled, and an OCC, my valves stay spotless.

Back