Suspension knock or clunk on Driver's side front 2008 Mazda 5 GT

xgabriel

:
2008 Mazda5 GT
The past couple of days I've noticed a clunk or knock on the driver's side front that sounds like it is coming from the suspension on my 2008 Mazda 5 GT. I did a search and didn't find much info here on it. I'll just take it in to the dealer as it is still under warranty, but does anyone have any idea what may have caused this? Is this common on these cars (2008+)?

The past couple of days I've noticed a clunk or knock on the driver's side front that sounds like it is coming from the suspension on my 2008 Mazda 5 GT. I did a search and didn't find much info here on it. I'll just take it in to the dealer as it is still under warranty, but does anyone have any idea what may have caused this? Is this common on these cars (2008+)?

Is this that cowling problem? I read that here some place. The area below the wiper blade section, it needs to be loosened then tighten back up?

Peace!(rei)

Is this that cowling problem? I read that here some place. The area below the wiper blade section, it needs to be loosened then tighten back up?

Peace!(rei)

I put a very thin strip of the fuzzy half of velcro along where the cowling hits the windshield. Problem solved. Did that the second day I owned it.

Please excuse my ignorance, but I'm not sure what the cowling is. Can you guys be more specific?

Please excuse my ignorance, but I'm not sure what the cowling is. Can you guys be more specific?

The cowling is the plastic cover between your hood and your windshield. The plastic just sits on the glass and it knocked constantly on mine, until I fixed it. There would be multiple ways to fix it, but I chose to use the fuzzy side of velcro between the plastic and glass. Velcro is a great product for all kinds of issues, mainly rattles, but also as padding when you customize something. Sorry, I digress.

You might want to slide something thin in there between the cowling and the glass and drive around. To do it right, the plastic should not be sitting on the glass. Drive around, and if it stops you'll know what to address. The dealer will most likely never figure that out or be able to fix it if they do so make sure you get that out of the way before you move on to see if it's the suspension.

Last edited:
I think the clunk noise you are referring to is in the rear suspension. My Mazda dealer showed me a procedure where the rear coil spring had to be grinded down and arc welded in that area. Sorry I don't have a TSB #.

I just took my car into the dealer to check out my suspension clunk. It is more pronounced in colder weather. It gets really annoying.

I notice an alarming loosening up of the suspension, and lots of noise and motion there when going over railroad tracks or bumps. I have to drive this Mazda 5 all the way from Harlingen to Del Rio soon, and wonder if it is OK to drive with this much thumping and movement in the suspension. We don't really have a dealer here, and the foreign car mechanics don't do body work. Can anyone help with a suggested fix? Also, a loud low "brake?" sound when starting to back up. Hope it's not all part of something ready to fall apart. Not the usualy high brake noise.

Help? Am borrowing this car from a friend after my hip replacement, since mine is a standard (stick) shift with a clutch and it's my left hip.... Need some reassurance. Quite noisy and worse really than old station wagons, this otherwise cool Mazda 5 mini-van or crossover....

The noise is most likely due to swaybar bushings. Mazda has a TSB out for the swaybar bushings, both front and rear. It's a pretty easy job to do and any mechanic can do it. I would first check and see if anything is loose down there. If not, and you can live with the noise, then you don't have to do anything. Otherwise, try replacing the swaybar bushings.

I own a 2007 model year and have had clunking in my susp for over a year now. Have replaced front and rear sway bar bushings,front and rear sway bar end links both front and both rear lower control arms, rear lateral arm...... and it is going in again because it is still clunking. The dealership is lost. I mentioned the cowl problem and they looked at me like I had two heads...... what the "F" am I going to do?

Let me confuse you'all a little bit more :)

As it has been reported before I hear a subtle clunk on my 06 (rear left side) on 80F+ temps, culprit might be the strut itself but it is still OK so I won't change it (no longer under warranty of course). Clunk during Winter is null.

Point in case is, many owners have reported defective OEM struts in the past (especially 06s but who knows). Would that be it?

After all this time, my problem in my original post has come back. It was gone for a good while, and I was hoping that was that. But of course, as soon as the car is out of warranty, the knock/clunk in the front drivers side suspension area is back with a vengeance. You can actually feel it in the floor when it knocks/clunks. This is starting to really get to me. Has anybody else had this problem and fixed it successfully?

does this clunking happen when under braking?

i have a funny clunk in the front suspension area as well. it only happens when under brake, and turning. ive had it at the dealer 3 times for it. lubed the front sway bar, replaced the control arms, and even replaced the front calipers.... still clunking. my only guess is that the rotor has a groove in it, (i can feel a slight lip at the very top) and that under braking and turning, the caliper, or pads, can make a popping, or clunking sound. i dont know if that makes sense or is even possible.

No, I don't think it happens when under breaking. It happens when driving straight over an uneven bump where the front left wheel hits it and the right front doesn't.

No, I don't think it happens when under breaking. It happens when driving straight over an uneven bump where the front left wheel hits it and the right front doesn't.

Have fun trying to figure it out. Mine does it. Mine even pops in the roof when I pull out of my driveway at an angle. It's a cheap car with a lot of functionality. It has its flaws.

08 Mazda5 here. last couple weeks I have also noticed this thump/clunk noise particularly when going slow over a speedbump, coming up into the driveway, uneven pavement etc. It sounds like a rubbery thump like a tire or something but the suspension HAS to be the issue. I've read SEVERAL threads with proteges, mazda 6, MPV etc all having similar problems and issues with the OEM alignment.

The thing I worry about is how stupid Mazda USA always tries to make customers feel. "well sir, it appears you have a nail in your tire". Customer leaves, inpsects tires - "hmm, don't see any nail".

About the clunking, maybe it is a frame member that is flexing and popping? If a car is on an uneven pavement, ie entering a sloped driveway at an angle, at the point the front 2 tires are on the driveway and the read 2 are still on the street, there is alot of frame stresses, and the whole car twists. It is possible that one stmaped frame member connecting other structural points in the car is flexing and making the noise. I noticed this in my 2003 Honda element, not the noise but the frame flexing. I was parked in such a way described earlier, and when i opened and tried closing the rear hatch, it totally didn't line up until i pulled the car back onto flat ground.

just a thought.

because if you replaced the ball joints, lower A arms, there aint many more things that can generate such a noise. I guess could also be the steering linkage, loose struts, sway bars, etc... Let us know if the cause is ever discovered.

I have the noise in the rear suspension too. I can even hear it when I'm stopped, if I move my weight around in the car and sway it from side to side. Its a creaky sound. They've already replaced both the rear struts and they said the swaybar TSB didn't apply to a 2008. Frankly this car has been the most rattley of anything I've owned. There's a squeak in the front windshield/dashboard in cold temperatures, the passenger side sliding door creaks like a 100yr old wooden staircase every time the car goes over any bumps, and the driver seat is kinda squeaky too. It definitely doesn't give you a sense of tight workmanship and quality.

I have the noise in the rear suspension too. I can even hear it when I'm stopped, if I move my weight around in the car and sway it from side to side. Its a creaky sound. They've already replaced both the rear struts and they said the swaybar TSB didn't apply to a 2008. Frankly this car has been the most rattley of anything I've owned. There's a squeak in the front windshield/dashboard in cold temperatures, the passenger side sliding door creaks like a 100yr old wooden staircase every time the car goes over any bumps, and the driver seat is kinda squeaky too. It definitely doesn't give you a sense of tight workmanship and quality.

You are describing the stabilizer(sway) bar bushings. It's simple to service yourself or you can have a mechanic do it in 15 minutes tops. A Mazda dealer that replaces struts for that is staffed by idiots. Regarding the other rattles, the stock size tires and especially the stock brand are prone to causing so many rattles because they are hard. Put 215s on and you won't have all of the rattles during driving. Hell, any car will rattle with tiny hard tires on it.

Back