CorkSport.com is MAZDA PERFORMANCE!
CorkSport.com is MAZDA PERFORMANCE!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Suspension knock or clunk on Driver's side front 2008 Mazda 5 GT

2009 Mazda5 GT

Quote Originally Posted by xgabriel View Post
    No, I don't think it happens when under breaking. It happens when driving straight over an uneven bump where the front left wheel hits it and the right front doesn't.
    Have fun trying to figure it out. Mine does it. Mine even pops in the roof when I pull out of my driveway at an angle. It's a cheap car with a lot of functionality. It has its flaws.

Registered Member

08 Mazda5 here. last couple weeks I have also noticed this thump/clunk noise particularly when going slow over a speedbump, coming up into the driveway, uneven pavement etc. It sounds like a rubbery thump like a tire or something but the suspension HAS to be the issue. I've read SEVERAL threads with proteges, mazda 6, MPV etc all having similar problems and issues with the OEM alignment.

The thing I worry about is how stupid Mazda USA always tries to make customers feel. "well sir, it appears you have a nail in your tire". Customer leaves, inpsects tires - "hmm, don't see any nail".
    Mazda5 to tote the kids around. MKV GTI to tote myself around.

Registered Member

2006 Mazda5

About the clunking, maybe it is a frame member that is flexing and popping? If a car is on an uneven pavement, ie entering a sloped driveway at an angle, at the point the front 2 tires are on the driveway and the read 2 are still on the street, there is alot of frame stresses, and the whole car twists. It is possible that one stmaped frame member connecting other structural points in the car is flexing and making the noise. I noticed this in my 2003 Honda element, not the noise but the frame flexing. I was parked in such a way described earlier, and when i opened and tried closing the rear hatch, it totally didn't line up until i pulled the car back onto flat ground.

just a thought.

because if you replaced the ball joints, lower A arms, there aint many more things that can generate such a noise. I guess could also be the steering linkage, loose struts, sway bars, etc... Let us know if the cause is ever discovered.

Registered Member

I have the noise in the rear suspension too. I can even hear it when I'm stopped, if I move my weight around in the car and sway it from side to side. Its a creaky sound. They've already replaced both the rear struts and they said the swaybar TSB didn't apply to a 2008. Frankly this car has been the most rattley of anything I've owned. There's a squeak in the front windshield/dashboard in cold temperatures, the passenger side sliding door creaks like a 100yr old wooden staircase every time the car goes over any bumps, and the driver seat is kinda squeaky too. It definitely doesn't give you a sense of tight workmanship and quality.

2009 Mazda5 GT

Quote Originally Posted by minimo3 View Post
    I have the noise in the rear suspension too. I can even hear it when I'm stopped, if I move my weight around in the car and sway it from side to side. Its a creaky sound. They've already replaced both the rear struts and they said the swaybar TSB didn't apply to a 2008. Frankly this car has been the most rattley of anything I've owned. There's a squeak in the front windshield/dashboard in cold temperatures, the passenger side sliding door creaks like a 100yr old wooden staircase every time the car goes over any bumps, and the driver seat is kinda squeaky too. It definitely doesn't give you a sense of tight workmanship and quality.
    You are describing the stabilizer(sway) bar bushings. It's simple to service yourself or you can have a mechanic do it in 15 minutes tops. A Mazda dealer that replaces struts for that is staffed by idiots. Regarding the other rattles, the stock size tires and especially the stock brand are prone to causing so many rattles because they are hard. Put 215s on and you won't have all of the rattles during driving. Hell, any car will rattle with tiny hard tires on it.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robotaz View Post
    You are describing the stabilizer(sway) bar bushings. It's simple to service yourself or you can have a mechanic do it in 15 minutes tops. A Mazda dealer that replaces struts for that is staffed by idiots. Regarding the other rattles, the stock size tires and especially the stock brand are prone to causing so many rattles because they are hard. Put 215s on and you won't have all of the rattles during driving. Hell, any car will rattle with tiny hard tires on it.
    Thanks, I'll bring it in and ask them to check out the sway bar bushings. Currently running 205/55R16 Dunlops for better ride comfort. The squeaks seem like they're plastic related, I'll get them to check the interior paneling to see if a clip has fallen out or something.

Registered Member

2002 Mazda Protege

I have a 2002 Protege that just recently started "thumping" on my drivers side as well, right now it is only prominent when I turn right I was told it might be a ball joint (?) & as I know NOTHING about cars I was wondering if this could be possible ? and if not might there be any suggestions as to what this might be ? Thanks to all whom respond without sarcasm lol since again I know nothing about cars.....lol Oh and what exactly is a "TSB" ?

'13 Mazda3 / '13 Edge / Your Mom

Welcome kmnky79...

Unfortunately this section is for the Mazda5... not the protege5.

However, it sounds like you have a bad wheel bearing on your protege5. A lot of them have been having that problem recently.

Check out this section... might be more helpful... or check the link to the protege5 section in my signature.

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/forum...rotege5.com%29
    13 MZ3 // 13 Edge
    If you see spam.... REPORT IT! Fight the spam, don't eat it... or bump the spam threads.
    Audio stuff for sale!

Registered Member

Mazda 5

I have a 07 with about 70,000 miles ,also has a bumping sound sounds like in the upper strut .I live on a dirt drive way ,it bumps at every small hole or dip in the drive.the shop says it the sway bar bushings ,It sounds on the upper part of the strut not the lower part.

Registered Member

Mazda5

After replacing all the wear items on the sway bar I found this TSB.

TSB 02-007/06 Noise from front or rear suspension when passing over a bump or driving on uneven road.

The rear coil springs may have shifted in the spring seat rubber and/or upper spring pocket in the rear crossmember, and causing the spring to rub against the cross member. This noise will most likely occur with the rear seat occupied and can sound like a squeak or knock when going over a bump or a rattle when driving at a steady speed over uneven road surface. The problem on early models is the arc-welding bead in the spring pocket on the crossmember where it makes contact with the spring seat rubber is protruding too much, causing the spring seat rubber to be pushed out of position. The arc-welding bead also prevents the rubber from going back to its initial position. On later models, the spring seat rubber is the problem.

2012 Mazda5 Touring

Just started on mine

2012 Mazda5 -82,000 miles

Only clunks when front goes over speed bumps

Registered Member

1987 nissan 200sx sev6/ 2013 mazda 5 sport 6mt

Mine has started aswell. It started happening about couple weeks ago itll go away while im driving but when i start my car in the morning and cover over the bumps in my neighborhood i hear that clubking sound coming from the passenger front side. Once im on the freeway and hit like a dip i dont hear it. Also when i pull up the drive way there is a slight clunk but faint. Not sure where to start. Im on tein coilovers btw and have 58k

90210 did you get your clunking sound fix?

2012 Mazda5 Touring

Quote Originally Posted by FaDz View Post

90210 did you get your clunking sound fix?
    yes

Search threads started by me
    I documented all parts
    My car good as new
    Just turned 90k on my 12.

Registered Member

1987 nissan 200sx sev6/ 2013 mazda 5 sport 6mt

Quote Originally Posted by 90210 View Post
    yes

Search threads started by me
    I documented all parts
    My car good as new
    Just turned 90k on my 12.
    Which thread was it cuz i tried looking through the thread your started and one of them is the shocks but im on coilovers and im really hoping i dont have to rebuild the teins

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12