Help! Snapped a wheel stud!

ganzhimself

:
2012 Mazda 3 Skyactiv Hatch
I snapped a wheel stud off... Some how the lug nut was on WAAAY to tight. What can I do to fix it?

(lol)

Thanks. What do I need to do to replace it? I'm at a complete loss. Never had to deal with this crap situation before.

I have the service manual but I still don't know what kind of tools I need. Looks like I need to remove the caliper, rotor, the locknut, and then press out the stud and press in another one.

Last edited:
yeah, essentially you get another wheel stud, they're 4 dollars at a mazda dealership. then also you take off the caliper, rotor, and you bang out the old one and pull it from the rear of the HUB, and from the rear of the HUB, you just press in and bang in the new one till it's secure. If your not comfortable doing it - it's a 30 minute job at any repair shop.

you use some random nut that's much bigger than it as a washer... or just a stack of washers... then use a lug nut to just ram the new one in

I actually had a wheel stud replaced because a tuner lug siezed up on the stud and wouldn't come off, so they had to put a torch down the center of one of my lug nut holes to heat up the stud then hit it hard with a sharp object to crack it to loosen the grip it had on the lug.

Quite an interesting week that was!

Ok, I got it fixed. Crisis averted. Unfortunately, my new wheels, one needs to be repaired (hopefully) after rolling over a curb. Doesn't look to be too bad, but it's out of whack. Stockers are back on, and the stud is replaced. Going to try to find somewhere that repairs wheels to see if they can salvage it. Total time on my car... 1 hour. Awesome.

Back