Ball Joints ??????

aubrandb3

:
MSP
Has anyone on here ever changed there Ball Joints. I have checked all the local auto parts stores and no one seems to be able to order them. So is there any alternative, rather then the dealership. Thanks Brandon

I don't trust the reliability of most parts sold at the auto part stores. It may cost more but I always go OEM from the Dealer. Do the ball joint studs spin with the nut when trying to remove them?

Last edited:
The only way I have seen ball joints offered for the MSP, or any Protege for that matter, is to buy an entirely new control arm. I've searched and searched, but no one offers a press out ball joint for our cars. Plus having to rent and use a press is pain in the arse. New control arms from RockAuto are $72 a piece, so not too bad.

The only way I have seen ball joints offered for the MSP, or any Protege for that matter, is to buy an entirely new control arm. I've searched and searched, but no one offers a press out ball joint for our cars. Plus having to rent and use a press is pain in the arse. New control arms from RockAuto are $72 a piece, so not too bad.

I bent my lower Control Arm in the MSP so $72 is a fair price. I changed out the Control Arm in my 1st Gen and it wasn't too bad of a process.

Changing control arms in these cars is a piece of cake as long as you have a pickle fork, which you can get on loan from the auto store or just buy one from Harbor Freight for $5. So pickle fork on the ball joint, three bolts holding the arm up, and maybe some other accessory brackets (not sure since I haven't done it yet).

Back