Automatic Transmission Fluid

joshritger

:
2007 Galaxy Grey Mazda 3 S Hatchback (a.k.a. DILLA)
So I have 30,000 miles on my 07 Mazda 3 Hatchback that has a automatic transmission. I had mazda put a new transmission in about a year ago around 15000 miles ago. I have heard recommendations that you should change your transmission fluid every year for optimal transmission life. Is this a good idea? Also after looking through the manual and talking to a transmission shop, the transmission shop guy wasn't sure if the ATF - MV was the generic Mercon V spec or a specific spec mazda has come up with for these transmissions. Also any recommendations on fluid would be greatly appreciated. I was leaning towards Amsoil synthetic.

Thanks,
Josh

well i changed my first tranny oil at 80k. me dealer and my mechanic said to change it every 30k after the first tranny oil change. i believe the oil is atf M5. i would put mazda oil in there... dont risk putting any other brand cause if something goes wrong with the tranny the dealer would be able to blame it on the oil. good luck

M-V is not the same as mercon 5

you do not need to change it every year... just every 30k

After doing a little bit of research on my own it appears that TheMAN is correct about the ATF - MV being a specific fluid for Mazda. I was leaning towards Amsoil Synthetic Universal ATF Transmission fluid. Anybody have an issue with this fluid? It does say on Amsoil's website that it is compatible with the ATF - MV spec.

Thanks,
Josh

people on BITOG have used this in their 3s with no reported problems

I personally use redline ATF D4 in mine and it shifts buttery smooth... way better than before! I had to flush the original crap out of course :) now with synthetic in there, it will probably last up to 100k before changing... I'll look at it again every 30k of course :)

Back